Valued Contributor

Anyone ever make scalloped potatoes w/ sweet potatoes

Thanks for any advice. ...

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever make scalloped potatoes w/ sweet potatoes

I do not think it would taste very good. SP are savory,but sweet potatoes are kinda sweet.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer my sweet potatoes savory! Put salt on my fries!

Don't know about adding cream?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucky-girl

I have not made these, here's a recipe:

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/8th inch thin
  • 1 large shallot thinly sliced, rings separated
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme about 3 sprigs
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese (See Note 1)
  • 4 tbsp all purpose flour divided
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×9 inch (2 1/2 quarts) baking dish with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
    • To a small bowl, add salt, pepper and fresh chopped thyme. Whisk to combine.
    • Using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife, slice sweet potatoes and shallot 1/8th inch thin, then separate shallot rings. Set aside.
  • Arrange half of the sweet potatoes and shallot rings in the baking dish. Sprinkle one tablespoon of flour on top with half of the thyme mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat another layer with remaining potatoes and shallots in overlapping rows. Scatter with remaining thyme mixture.
  • In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 of heavy cream and remaining three tablespoons of flour until smooth. Whisk in remaining cream and chicken stock. Pour evenly over sweet potatoes and top with remaining cheese.
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Let scalloped sweet potatoes rest for 10 minutes, then garnish with sprig of thyme and serve while warm.

Notes:

1. 2 cups shredded is about 6.5 ounces of cheese. I’ve used 12 slices of Gouda before and divided it to 6 on top of one layer and 6 slices on the other. Feel free to use sharp cheddar cheese or Gruyere if Gouda is not available. A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on the top is fantastic too.
Recipe adapted from a Sunset magazine recipe by Elaine Johnson.
Honored Contributor

@lucky-girlIf you make scalloped potatoes as I know them, NOT au gratin, they should be wonderful!

Scalloped potatoes involved cream, butter, salt, and sometimes a little flour. That should be fabulous with sweet potatoes in a creamy sauce! Even maybe a light sprinkle of brown sugar to crunch up during baking?

Let us know!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucky-girl

There is a delicious Garlic Butter Scalloped Sweet Potatoes on a website called the spicy perspective. It's close to the recipe I use for regular potatoes.

The ingredients are:

Sweet potatoes
Heavy cream
Butter
Garlic cloves
Thyme
Cornstarch
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

You could do it with or without cheese. Any strong melting cheese you like would work too. Parmesan, Gouda, Fontina, Gruyere, sharp cheddar.

In my opinion the key thing is to slice the potatoes thinly and to use heavy cream, aka whipping cream.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Wow, what an interesting idea. You have given me food for thought! lol

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have made a version of scalloped sweet potatoes, but it's a spicy one. It's Bobby Flay's chipoltle sweet potato dish. Basically scalloped potatoes with a spicy addition of chipolte sauce. We like spicy foods so we loved it, but I'm sure it would be wonderful without the spicy element, and either plain or whatever seasoning you like.

I think you could find the recipe easily if you google it. It was a big hit at our Thanksgiving dinners.

Sooner's suggestion of making it basic with cream,butter, salt and then sprinkling with the brown sugar on top sounds wonderful. Very traditional, yet different at the same time.

Respected Contributor

also search checkboard potatoes. Mix white potatoes with sweet potatoes. I had the at a friends house they were delicious. Cream, I don’t recall them having cheese like some au gratin.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know....sounds delicious. Can not wait to make them. HO HO HO Merry Christmas