Valued Contributor

Anyone else here make corton?

I am making some today first time this season. It is a French-Canadian pork spread made with ground pork butts and spices. Delicious on toast and spicy brown mustard. 

Tortiere is made from this recipe too. Anyone here make it?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else here make corton?

@frenchie  I have never made it but boy do I remember loving it as a child.  My grandparents lived in Canada and I remember having this on toast and could not get enough of it.  My mother would always bring some home.  Have not had that in probably 50 years. YUM

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of it but Im willing to try it if I ever come across any.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have made tourtière several times - learned about it from our French-Canadian friends.  It's so good.  I'm going to look up conton - thanks!

Regular Contributor

Hi @frenchie I know it as Gorton, but only through my husband's family. Never heard of it before that! My mother in law makes it, and they all eat it (hubby's family), but my sons and I do not. Sorry, but we kiddingly call it cat food! 🤪😂🤓😺

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@frenchie I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a cousin to scrapple. The scrapple we make has buckwheat flour with onion, parsley and sage in addition to the pork. Both are very hearty dishes. 

Honored Contributor

I thought I had have everything!  Apparently not!!!

Occasional Contributor

Grew up eating thisl. Loved it. It is spelled "creton" to my knowledge. My mother was never satisfied with it because she could not find the fat needed. It's fat from the area of the kidney's from the pig. I don't remember what she called it. That's after we immigrated to the US. We once found a place in Fort Lauderdale that had it. They have a large French-Canadian snowbird population. Loved tourtiere also. My brothers would sneak into her stash of pies and bring some home. I could never get one to bring home for myself. I know this is a run of long sentences, so please do not criticize. 

Esteemed Contributor

@frenchie  Would love to see your recipe!

Honored Contributor

@JFD12 wrote:

Hi @frenchie I know it as Gorton, but only through my husband's family. Never heard of it before that! My mother in law makes it, and they all eat it (hubby's family), but my sons and I do not. Sorry, but we kiddingly call it cat food! 🤪😂🤓😺

@JFD12  From the OP's description, it reminds me of deviled ham which is just like cat food in my opinion!