Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Planning their Easter Menu Yet?

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Our Easter dinner is simple...but delish!

I'll be picking up a 5 lb prime rib roast from our local butcher and we'll be using our Ronco Rotisserie. The only thing I will be making is a caesar salad. For dessert DH and I will be sharing a pkg of 2 double chocolate chip cookies by FatSnax.

DH and I have embraced a low carb lifestyle for our health Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise 
Do you use a boneless or bone-in roast in the Ronco? I've only made the bone in one but haven't  used it in a couple of years. Your  menu reminded me that I have one!

@Starpolisher   The prime rib roast will be boneless. It averages about $70, but since it's just DH and I, we get several meals from it and it's a treat. We love the leftovers.

After the meal and the rest of the roast is cooled completely, I cut up and divide the rest of the roast up into double portions and freeze some of them. I can usually squeeze about 8-10 more meals out of it.

Our favorite meal with the leftover roast is having some with eggs and flaxseed bread toasted with a Cutie (mandarin orange)...makes a great brunch on the weekends! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher   It's not much of a recipe, but my family says I make the best lamb and they nominate me to make it every year. Everyone fights over the potatoes.

I use a knife and slit holes about an inch deep in the meat and poke a garlic clove in there.   Then I generously salt the meat and throw it in the oven in a lidded aluminum roaster pan.  Aluminum roaster Pans do not need liquid.  If you have a black granite pan, you will need to add some water before you put the lid on.

I roast at 350 for about an hour and a half or so, depending on the size.  There should be juice in the bottom of the pan. Then I add small red potatoes.  I remove the skin from some of them  or just remove a big strip of skin from the middle all around or halve the potatoes if they are big, and just throw them into the roaster and add salt and pepper and stir them so that they are covered with the juice.  I roast everything until the lamb reaches 145 degrees, stirring the potatoes around in the juice often.

I remove the roast from the pan and continue roasting the potatoes until they are brown in a hot oven at 450 degrees. If I have too many potatoes...i"ll just put the roaster under the broiler to crisp up and brown them. They will drink up all of the juice.

Very simple, very easy and delicious.

Honored Contributor

I used to do another Thanksgiving meal and add fruit along with a summer dessert.

This time I may do a spiral cut brown sugar ham.  Once I had one of those, ham was out!  My family always wants my potato salad and deviled eggs and I'll do glazed carrots and fresh green beans.

I'll also have to think of Father's Day to plan the meats.  One of these is usually grilled chicken.  I also have an amazing corn souffle (not hard at all!) that I could just sit down and eat the entire bowl!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I also have an amazing corn souffle (not hard at all!) that I could just sit down and eat the entire bowl!Smiley Happy

Could you possibly post the corn souffle recipe? I'd really appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, my goodness.  Not yet.  Easter is almost a month away.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I used to do another Thanksgiving meal and add fruit along with a summer dessert.

This time I may do a spiral cut brown sugar ham.  Once I had one of those, ham was out!  My family always wants my potato salad and deviled eggs and I'll do glazed carrots and fresh green beans.

I'll also have to think of Father's Day to plan the meats.  One of these is usually grilled chicken.  I also have an amazing corn souffle (not hard at all!) that I could just sit down and eat the entire bowl!Smiley Happy

I know what you mean.  I make a creamy corn casserole that passes as dessert for my taste.

Respected Contributor

we just had ham, so my hubs wants pork loin roast. probably will have cheesy hash browns and girls will bring other sides. i'm going to try a layered sherbert dessert, from past bridal showers.

i  saw a post on facebook, that hid cans for craft beers around the yard, for the "kids" over 21. more of a beer hunt but like an easter egg hunt.

Respected Contributor

@10sluvrooOOoo, There you go, Could even use those little four packs of wine too.  They have Easter egg like colours.  I like that idea. Have a metal ice bucket with a big ribbon and bow on it to chill the finds and have them with the meal.  Fun for the kids at heart.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Unknown.jpg

My grandmother used to make this lamb cake at Easter.  She had a two piece cast iron mold.  Wish I knew where the mold disappeared to.  

I have this mold only it is made of aluminum.  I also have a bunny mold too. I use a pound cake recipe for the cake and vanilla icing with coconut pressed onto the icing.  I picked up the bunny mold (Nordic Ware) at TJ Maxx and the lamb mold (Wilton) came from a Good Will.  

Respected Contributor

the blurb i saw it on, had those 6-pack cardboard carriers, using them like easter baskets. the wines would be fun too.