Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Planning their Easter Menu Yet?

I'm sharing this as a possibility for someone looking for an Easter dessert or gift.  Each bunny is made from one layer, iced and coated with coconut.  The noses and eyes are jelly beans.  (Milk chocolate bunnies would be cute, too.)  

Easter basket.JPG

bunny cut.jpg

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

We usually have, Honey Baked Ham with cranberry orange glaze, potato salad or scalloped potatoes, green beans, carrots, devilled eggs, rolls and coconut or carrot cake. This year it will be a different cake for dh's belated birthday. I was thinking of trying @forrestwolf  recipe for Tomato pie and maybe adding Ambrosia salad(which I love- and no one else likes...) but introducing it to my ddil and granddaughter. They've never had it.  If they like it, I'll have an excuse to start adding it to my menus...lol!Smiley Very Happy 

What's on your menu...?

Reservations!!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG   That is such a great idea.  I'm going to try it.

Thank you for showing us this.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG , my mom would always make a special cake like the one you posted, for Easter.....other holidays had their special design cake, and birthdays....I remember several Doll Cakes when I was growing up.  Thanks for posting.  Mom has been gone many years, I miss her.

Honored Contributor

Probably going to try the uncured spiral sliced hams without nitrates from Aldi's.

I have bought their smaller half chunk sliced uncured hams which we really like. The ham seems to be really tender plus not salty at all.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    A doll cake like this?  frozen trimmed.jpg

My Mom is also gone, so I understand you missing yours.   I hope my cake photos bring back happy memories and not renewed longing. 

Respected Contributor

Unknown.jpg

My grandmother used to make this lamb cake at Easter.  She had a two piece cast iron mold.  Wish I knew where the mold disappeared to.  

Honored Contributor

Ham, stuffing and gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, cheesy broccoli and a white coconut cake. Unless, I don't feel like cooking and we go out to a steak house.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny   I have a similar 2 piece lamb pan, but made in aluminium, from Wilton pans.  I like yours better, tho'.  That wreath around the neck is a nice touch.

Respected Contributor

As far as Easter, it is our family's tradition (both mine & DH) to eat a cold meal.  Something I heard about no cooking on Easter, but I can't locate a reference.  Anyway, we prepare the day before, ham, easter kielbasa, hard boiled eggs, potatoe salad, egg cheese, grated horseradish/beets and paska bread.