Trusted Contributor

Anyone Make Their Own Sweet/Sour Sauce?

I know I could probably find a recipe online, but does anyone here make their own sweet/sour sauce? I moved and the restaurant in my new town (I live in a small town) does not make a sweet/sour sauce that I like.  I've tried some of the ones in the grocery store and they are either bland or just don't taste like sweet/sour sauce.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Make Their Own Sweet/Sour Sauce?

Try genius kitchen sweet and sour sauce dipping recipe.I find genius kitchen recipes to be good usually.

Honored Contributor

3/4 cup apple or apricot jelly

1 tbsp white vinegar

1/2 tsp soy sauce

1/8 tsp garlic powder

pinch of ground ginger

Whisk together until smooth.

Trusted Contributor

1 can of apricots drained and pureed

1/4 c brown sugar

8 oz canned cushed pineapple

1/4 c soy sauce

2 T rice wine vineagar

mix all together in sauce pan.  rin g to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick.

serve with pork or chicken

Trusted Contributor

forgot to add that you can adjust the soy sauce and brown sugar to your taste.  some people like it sweeter then others.

Honored Contributor

Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup sugar or light brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1 T ketchup
1 T soy sauce
3 T rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 T cornstarch dissolved in 2 T water

Combine sugar, salt, ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar and water in small saucepan.  Bring to near boil stirring to dissolve sugar.  Add cornstarch slurry to pan.  Continue cooking, stirring for about 15 seconds until sauce comes to full boil and thickens.

Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and set aside 10 minutes to cool down.  

There are more tasty sweet and sour recipes but this just calls for things you have in your pantry.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your replies.  I just didn't have any idea of what ingredients would be in a sweet/sour sauce.  I figured pineapple juice but didn't know what the sour would be.  So, I'll have to try these and see which Ilike best.  And, What Now, thank you for referring me to Genius Kitchen.  Had never heard of that site.  I know I will be visiting that site often.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

When I cook little smokies or little meat balls, I pour in a bottle of chili sauce and small jar of grape jelly. That’s it. Delicious.