Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Tried and True German Potato Salad recipe?

@deepwaterdotter   Your great-grandmother's potato salad has triggered a 'taste' for Hot Slaw.   My MIL made delicious slaw, but she wouldn't give me the recipe.  I remember the cooked dressing had a good vinegary kick and was poured while still hot over shredded cabbage.  

Did your grandmother by chance also have a recipe for that?  If you  know the dish, isn't the dressing in this potato salad similar, if not the same?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsGI couldn't find a recipe for "hot slaw" among her recipe collection.  Might there be one on allrecipes you could use?  That's where I ususally end up when I can't find a recipe anywhere else.  I'm guessing this might call for the heartier substance of red cabbage?

Trusted Contributor

@River Song , thank you for the recipe.  I'm going to try it, also.  Our reunion, if we have it, isn't until August, so I'll have time to try the recipe before making it for the family reunion.  Again, thank you.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@deepwaterdotter   Your great-grandmother's potato salad has triggered a 'taste' for Hot Slaw.   My MIL made delicious slaw, but she wouldn't give me the recipe.  I remember the cooked dressing had a good vinegary kick and was poured while still hot over shredded cabbage.  

Did your grandmother by chance also have a recipe for that?  If you  know the dish, isn't the dressing in this potato salad similar, if not the same?  

@IamMrsG Is the slaw you're speaking about oil and vinegar with green pepper and celery seed?  We called that ine "freezer" slaw, although, it has nothing to do with a freezer.  I have that one if you would like it.

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG ,

I don't have a recipe for 'hot slaw' but I do have a German recipe for Hot Endive Salad that is very similar to Hot German Potato Salad.  I don't see why you couldn't just substitute shredded cabbage for the endive.

Hot Endive Salad

6 slices bacon

1 qt. endive, torn into bite size pieces

1/4 C. sugar

1-1/2 t. flour

1/4 t. salt

1 T. bacon drippings

1/2 t. prepared mustard

1/2 C. milk

1/4 C. apple cider vinegar

Saute bacon until crisp, drain, crumble.  Combine endive and bacon.  In top of double boiler, blend sugar, flour, salt, bacon drippings and mustard.  Blend in eggs, milk and vinegar.  A slight curdling may appear but will disappear after cooking is completed.  Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.  Toss hot dressing with endive.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:     

@IamMrsG Is the slaw you're speaking about oil and vinegar with green pepper and celery seed?  We called that ine "freezer" slaw, although, it has nothing to do with a freezer.  I have that one if you would like it.

@ECBG  I don't recall oil (did MIL use bacon grease?) or green pepper, but celery seed seems right.  If you don't mind, would you please post your recipe? Maybe I can use it as a 'jumping off point,' if you know what I mean. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@ECBG wrote:     

@ECBG  I don't recall oil (did MIL use bacon grease?) or green pepper, but celery seed seems right.  If you don't mind, would you please post your recipe? Maybe I can use it as a 'jumping off point,' if you know what I mean. 

Sweet And Sour Slaw

1 cabbage, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 lg. green pepper, chopped

½ c sugar

1 tsp. salt

¾ c oil

1 c vinegar

1 tsp. celery seeds

1 tsp. ground mustard

In large bowl place cabbage, cover with onion,   and green pepper.

Cover with sugar.

Bring remaining ingred. to a boil and pour over first ingred.

Don’t stir.

Refrigerate at least four hours and stir.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@wismiss   Cook's Country has one of the best recipes that we always use.

really wanted to see this recipe, but you have to pay to join the site. Smiley Frustrated

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein