Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Anyone Have a Tried and True German Potato Salad recipe?

When my brother passed, we had his favorite meal catered----bratwurst, saurkraut, German potato salad, etc.  The German Potato Salad was the best my sister and I had ever had.  We tried to get the recipe from the catering company, but they didn't have one.  They "doctored" potato salad that they got from one of their suppliers.

Do you have a German Potato salad recipe that you use?  I like mine to have a little bite of vinegar to it, but not sour.  And, what type of potato do you find works best for this salad?

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Tried and True German Potato Salad recipe?

3 lbs red potatoes

6 slices bacon

3/4 cup chopped onion

2 tbsp flour

2 tbsp sugar

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/8 tsp pepper

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup vinegar

Place potatoes in 3" water and 1 tsp salt in big pot.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.  Drain and set aside to cool.

Fry bacon in skillet until crisp, then drain on paper towel.  Pour off all but 2 tbsp grease from pan.

Fry onion in grease until slightly golden.  Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper over low heat for 2 minutes.

Stir water and vinegar together in dish, then slowly whisk into skillet to avoid lumps over medium heat.  Bring to simmer, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy, 4-5 minutes.   

Slice potatoes and place in a big bowl.  Gently stir in hot dressing.  Crumble bacon on top and gently stir to combine.  Serve warm or room temperature.   

Honored Contributor

Oh, that sounds so good! 

Respected Contributor

I am trying this.

Sounds good.

Haven't made this is in quite some time now...

HAD a good recipe I used for many years ... (who knows what happened to it ...)

Haven't actually thought about making this until now. Thanks!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  gave a good, authentic German recipe.  

This one won't qualify as that, but it is the best potato salad I've ever had:

Bobby Flay’s Green Onion Potato Salad

2 lbs. red potatoes
1 Tablespoon  PLUS 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
1 1/4 cups Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 green onions (green and pale green part), thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley

Cover potatoes with water in 4-quart saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain and cool slightly. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

Combine Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, vinegar, jalapeno peppers, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and toss gently. Season, if desired, with additional salt and pepper. 

Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

3 lbs red potatoes

6 slices bacon

3/4 cup chopped onion

2 tbsp flour

2 tbsp sugar

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/8 tsp pepper

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup vinegar

Place potatoes in 3" water and 1 tsp salt in big pot.  Bring to boil over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.  Drain and set aside to cool.

Fry bacon in skillet until crisp, then drain on paper towel.  Pour off all but 2 tbsp grease from pan.

Fry onion in grease until slightly golden.  Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper over low heat for 2 minutes.

Stir water and vinegar together in dish, then slowly whisk into skillet to avoid lumps over medium heat.  Bring to simmer, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy, 4-5 minutes.   

Slice potatoes and place in a big bowl.  Gently stir in hot dressing.  Crumble bacon on top and gently stir to combine.  Serve warm or room temperature.   

@wismiss  This sounds just like the German potato salad my aunt used to make for her husband, whose family was German. It's delicious! I can't find my recipe, so I'm going to print this one. Thanks @deepwaterdotter !

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in VirginiaThis my great-grandmother's recipe.  She emigrated from Germany to the U.S. in the 1800's.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss   Cook's Country has one of the best recipes that we always use.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I'll check out Cook's Country.  @deepwaterdotter , that recipe sounds wonderful and will be one I try.  We MIGHT have our 85th family reunion and the committee has decided to make German/Swiss food to reflect our heritage, so I'm going to make the German Potato Salad.  And, since this was your grandmother's recipe, it must be good to be handed down through the generations.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss ,

If you are looking for an easy hot German potato salad recipe, here's my German grandmother's recipe:

4 C. white potatoes, boiled, peeled, sliced

1/4 lb. bacon, sliced crosswise into small pieces

1 onion, chopped

1 t. salt

1/4 t. black pepper

1/2 t. sugar

1/2 t. flour

1 t. prepared mustard (not dry mustard)

1/2 C. vinegar

1/2 C. water

Fry bacon pieces and onion together.  Don't drain off the bacon fat, leave in pan.  Add cooked potatoes to the pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar and flour.  Pour vinegar and water over all.  Add mustard.  Stir to combine ingredients and heat through.

Salad should be glossy, not greasy or lumpy.