Trusted Contributor

Anyone Have a Recipe for a Snack like Trail Mix?

I am looking for a recipe that has some type of cereal or snack (like pretzels, popcorn, etc.) as the base with additional ingredients that can be packaged and sold individually as a fund raiser for a local Race for the Cure holiday craft sale.

Of course, we want to make a tidy profit and I would imagine the vendors would like something that isn't too messy.

Thank you in advance for any recipes you are willing to share.

wismiss

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Recipe for a Snack like Trail Mix?

While grocery shopping today, I saw snack type packages. They was a nice assortment of different ingredients. Don't remember all the different assortment but they had quite a few.

Not sure how much they weighed but it looked like a generous size. And they were $1.00 each. 

I am not sure about rules and regulations about making food items and packaging them yourselves. Maybe this would be an easier way to handle it. Have someone else package and prepare the mix.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  good idea.  Maybe a big box store carries small portion size snacks in quantity that could be sold at a profit for a fund raiser.  I never purchase "home cooked" items.

@drizzellla wrote:

While grocery shopping today, I saw snack type packages. They was a nice assortment of different ingredients. Don't remember all the different assortment but they had quite a few.

Not sure how much they weighed but it looked like a generous size. And they were $1.00 each. 

I am not sure about rules and regulations about making food items and packaging them yourselves. Maybe this would be an easier way to handle it. Have someone else package and prepare the mix.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Trusted Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I am looking for a recipe that has some type of cereal or snack (like pretzels, popcorn, etc.) as the base with additional ingredients that can be packaged and sold individually as a fund raiser for a local Race for the Cure holiday craft sale.

Of course, we want to make a tidy profit and I would imagine the vendors would like something that isn't too messy.

Thank you in advance for any recipes you are willing to share.

wismiss

I really like the chex mix (recipe on chex box) then I add nuts, pretzels, and cheezeits.  Making it from scratch is so much better than the pre-made. YumSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This caramel-ly snack mix is a hit at our Holiday gatherings:

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup corn syrup

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups salted mixed nuts

1 cup mini pretzel twists

12 oz corn or rice Chex (or a combination of both)

Mix butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in bowl and microwave until butter melts.  Pour nuts, pretzels, and Chex into roasting pan lined with nonstick foil.  Pour butter mixture over snack mix in pan and mix until well-coated.  Bake in 275 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  When cooling, be sure to keep stirring so it doesn't harden into a big clump.

Honored Contributor

I do make a snack mix that has Cheerios/Wheat Chex or Corn Chex, pretzels, nuts and baked with mix of little butter, Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.  Something to keep in mind for a fundraiser is make it "peanut-free"....many children have allergies.   You may want to make your own mix that contains cereal, pretzels, M&M's and maybe raisins which appeals to adults and children.