Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Watch "Thanksgiving Live" on Food Network on Saturday Morning?

I DVR'd it and just watched it.  It was just ok. 

Holy cow, I thought Katie Lee was going to take someone's hand off when she went after that cauliflower.  It's good she only had a spoon in her hand and not a fork.

If I were blindfolded I would know it was KL who  tasted the food.  The woman moans more than an actress in an R rated love scene. 

I thought the mac and cheese had way too much cheeese. I love cheese but I don't like tons of it on anything, even pizza.

I did like the make ahead gravy though.  I also liked the no bake cheesecake idea.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

I was curious why Marcella left. Anyone know?

Her family lives in California. She has a son who must be a teen by now and two very little children. She was pregnant with the girl when she was on the show. She said she didn't want to be away from them, which is sometimes used as an excuse, but in this case I think it was very valid and probably what colored her decision to leave the show. I wish her well. I used to enjoy her original show - can't remember the name of it now, but it was all Mexican dishes.  It would be nice to see her back in that capacity, but four cooks on "The Kitchen", plus one or two guests they have each week, is more than enough.

As for this week's live show, I thought it was a big yawn. I give them credit for trying it out, but their camera people need to take lessons from the QVC camera people.  I can't watch when cameras are shaky and flitting from one place to another.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I enjoy The Kitchen program and caught part of this special.  The Brussel Sprouts Salad looked interesting....might try it for something different.  I did not think the carving demonstration was very good.  She just quickly hacked the turkey apart.  I've seen better.  Think slicing the breast meat is nicer than big chunks.  Did not think it was the best example for the person who had asked...."how to carve".....but, I am not the expert either. 

Honored Contributor

I always record TheKitchen as I like the show but I can barely stomach Sunny.  She has no manners, she is obnoxious, shrill, and is a pig.   I generally FF through segments that are Sunny-intensive.

Other than that I tend to really like the show.  But I didn't know this episode was going to be 2 hours!  I did FF through a fair amount.   Some of the questions asked were just stupid.

(BTW- just to clarify, I didn't call Sunny a pig because she is obese.  I call her a pig because - well, you ever see her eat?   She grabs food and shoves food in her mouth  so nobody else can get it first.   It's nauseating.)

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt I've noticed lately that she's not the first one to get to taste test anymore unless she's been the sous chef on the side.

At one time she was always the first one to get the plate of food.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@chickenbutt I've noticed lately that she's not the first one to get to taste test anymore unless she's been the sous chef on the side.

At one time she was always the first one to get the plate of food.

I had noticed that, as well, and wondered if somebody said something to her, or what.   Usually, they would pass the plates down the line but if she were in position 1 or 2 she would just grab it and start shoveling. hehe Smiley Very Happy   I did notice the change. 

I like manners so I do tend to have a hard time with folks who have no manners, especially when they are loud and obnoxious.  Thank goodness for fast-forward!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

It was aired during "The Kitchen"'s regular timeslot.  Lots of traditional dishes with interesting twists.  Sunny sure did put a lot of cheese in her mac and cheese recipe.  

YES !   I Loved it....... got some great ideas.   The mac and cheese looked great,  I would tweak it a bit with a little less cheese.   Really enjoyed the show.....and I love the Holiday Baking Championship too......   Kind of puts me in the mood to do something in the kitchen   I Loved Sonny's Sweet Potato Souffle idea too.   I Love her ...... I love all of them....... It's a great show !

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

I think after her 3rd child was born she opted to leave The Kitchen.

Although, I've seen her a few times on some of the FN challenge shows.

Honored Contributor

This was aired twice on Sunday; I caught most of the show between both episodes.   

I didn't watch for ideas; the meal I cook is exactly what everyone here wants to eat, so I was just curious.   I stopped watching when Alex made the mashed potatoes that after the big dollop of sour cream, poured like liquid into the serving bowl.