Respected Contributor

Anybody work at a Chinese Restaurant ?

Need a tried and true General Tso's chicken sauce recipe. Their are a bazillion recipes on the net. I want the real thing. Thanks so much.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody work at a Chinese Restaurant ?

"Real thing"? Everyone has their own idea of the "real thing". Cooking is a creative endeavor. Real to one is not the same for eveyone.

Trusted Contributor

love general tso chicken!!!... but its so bad for you.. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like this recipe from Cook's Country:

1/2 cup hoisin sauce

1/4 cup white vinegar

3 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

1 1/2 cups water

1 tbsp oil

4 tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp grated ginger

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Whisk hoisin, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and water in bowl.  Marinate 1 1/2 lbs cut-up raw chicken in 6 tbsp of sauce mixture in zipper bag in refrigerator for 1/2 hour before deep-frying.

Heat oil in big skillet.  Cook garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in oil over medium heat for 1 minute.  Whisk in remaining sauce mixture and simmer until thickened.

Trusted Contributor

Many excellent Chinese cooks demonstrate authentic regional or ethnic cooking favorites on YouTube. You can watch the video to see it prepared, get a good sense of ingredients and proportions, and then click on the recipe included if there's one you really find you favor. Sometimes the entire recipe is provided in the comments, sometimes the chef provides a link to a page with full details. 

Just use the Search feature at the top of YouTube and enter General Tso and work it from there. 

Respected Contributor

I buy the general tso's sauce in the bottle...its excellent! I pour it on after I fry my chicken pieces crispy. Then I bake in 325 with the sauce over it all. I also trim with either green beans or broccoli. I dont work in a Chinese restaurant...but I'll say, this sauce is a wonderful alternative. Its called HOUSE OF TSANG, in a dark bottle.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Dazlin hope I can find it in my area of the Midwest.