Not applicable

Re: Anybody have a really good balsamic vinaigrette recipe?

Why make it when Trader Joes is the best for under$4.00.
Honored Contributor

A quality balsamic makes all of the difference.I have bought many but for price and taste I prefer Costco Kirkland brand.
Respected Contributor

I eyeball the balsamic vinegar and EVOO. Probably one part vinegar to 3 parts EVOO. I put it at the bottom of the salad bowl and hour or so before putting the greens in. I add a clove of fresh garlic, a pinch of sugar to but down on the acidity and a sprinkle of Italian Seasoning from the jar.

I've been making it this way for years because it's the way my mom made it.

Esteemed Contributor

Randy’s Vinaigrette Dressing

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

½ cup canola, corn oil, or safflower oil

4 Tbs vinegar (dark balsamic, light balsamic, red wine, tarragon, etc.)

1 tsp table salt

¼ tsp finely ground pepper

½ tsp dry mustard

2 cloves garlic, chopped small

Combine in a container from which the dressing can be easily poured, then shake vigorously. Make one day ahead of intended initial use so flavors can develop.

*I usually double this recipe. It’s been a staple in my frig since passed along to me by a dear friend in the late 70s.

*When I discovered light balsamic vinegar, it was necessary to go to lighter oil, so brought safflower into the mix.

*Initially intended use was with red wine vinegar. However, with a change to safflower oil for light balsamic or retention of canola for dark balsamic, this is a wonderful and simple recipe for many vinegars any way you look at it.

Trusted Contributor

Trader Joe's

Frequent Contributor

All sound yummy. Do you refrigerate when done or can you leave out room temperature Tia Shopping girl59
Respected Contributor

I just add mine right into the bottom of the bowl when I make mine so, I don't have extra on hand. However, as long as it's cool in the house, I'd leave it on the counter for a day or two. You could also refrigerate it and then take it out an hour or so before you use it. I do not like bottled oil/vinegar salad dressings so, don't take my word for it.