Super Contributor

Re: Anybody have a good Cinco de Mayo potluck dessert

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

You might want to look up some recipes for a Tres Leches cake or cupcakes.

Here in Austin, there are Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants all over the place and if they sell any type of dessert, they include a tres leches cake. It would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo.

Here's a recipe by Alton Brown, including a video: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tres-leche-cake-recipe.html

Hi ChynnaBlue,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this recipe, I have added it to my collection and I had actually thought about making Tres Leche, but the transporting and no way to keep it cold for this particular potluck, I ruled it out, but definitely going to make it soon.  Thank you again.

tkins

Super Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Hi!

Though I don't have a particular recipe in mind, my first thought was a pina colada anything; cake, cupcakes, pie, trifle? It'd taste fresh & fruity as opposed to the other stuff. You could even just do a key lime pie or cake! Not 'Mexican', but tropical nonetheless.

Have fun!

Hi Sabatini,

Thank you for responding to my message.  I had not thought about pina colada, but the lime idea kind of rattled around and I ended up taking parts of two recipes and a little tweaking and make lime bars, that ended up being a big hit.  Thank you for the suggestions.  

tkins

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Key Lime pie seems to be a pretty traditional favorite.  There are a lot of recipes online, also.

Hi Noel7 

Thank you for taking time to respond to my request.  The lime suggestions really got me thinking margaritas and all.  I ended up taking parts of a couple recipes and turned them into lime bars.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

tkins

Super Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Mexican brownies

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-sanchez/aaron-sanchezs-mexican-brownies-recipe.html

Hi Scooby Doo

Thank you for taking time to respond to my message.  I think these sound wonderful and have added it to my recipe collection.  I am always on the look out for good recipes lots of potlucks and things I make and bring goodies for.  Thank you again.  

tkins

Super Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I know it's too late now but I have a recipe for Pina Colada cake if you are still interested.

Hi recipeholic,

Thank you for responding, it is never  too late for a good recipe and since I have lots of potlucks and events that I make and take goodies too, I would love to have the recipe and look forward to making it.  Thank you again.

tkins

Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Banana Nutella QuesadillasBanana Nutella Quesadillas

flour tortillas

1 Tablespoon butter, softened
3-4 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
1/3 cup Nutella spread
2 ripe bananas
Cool Whip, thawed
Spread butter on one side of each of the tortillas, and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar.
Flip the tortillas over and spread the other side with Nutella. Top with banana slices on half of the tortilla. Fold over and place in a warm skillet. Fry each side until golden brown.
Cut each tortilla in half and serve warm with Cool Whip, if desired.

Just found this yesterday on Inside BruCrew Life website so have not tried but my son loves anything banana so I am always on the lookout.  Plan to try this summer for him.

Hi beckyb1012,

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I am going to have to make this, I love bananas and with my homemade tortillas, I bet it will be delicious, I think I might change the nutella spread to Reeses chocolate spread love peanut butter, chocolate and bananas.  Thank you again.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Hi tkins. I'm glad your dessert was a success! I also wanted to mention that it was really sweet of you to thank each poster. 

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Hi tkins. I'm glad your dessert was a success! I also wanted to mention that it was really sweet of you to thank each poster. 

Hi Sabatini,

Thank you for your kind words and the nudge with the lime suggestion.  I always try to respond back, I figure if people are nice enough to take the time to answer, then I should thank them.  By the way the recipe I made was super easy.

Lime Bars

Crust

1 Cup Butter

1/2 Cup Sugar

2 Cups Flour

1/8 Salt

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl on medium to high speed for 30 seconds, add sugar and salt, beat until combined. Beat in flour on low speed until combined.  

Press into the bottom with a little up the sides of a 13x9x2 pan (I lined with parchment paper for easy lift out and cutting of bars later).

Bake at 350 until light or golden brown (depends on your preference).  Cool.

Filling

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

grated zest from 2 limes or lemons

1/2 cup lime or lemon juice or half of each

Stir until well blended, mixture will thicken slightly.  Spread over cooled crust.

Bake 15 minutes or so.  Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 20 minutes, using parchment remove from pan cut bars place back in pan or when completely cooled put in a plastic container.   You can either sprinkle powdered sugar after they come out of the oven or before you pop them back in the oven make the topping recipe

Topping

3 large egg whites

1/2 teaspoon lime or lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

Whisk egg whites with the juice until foamy, with mixer running add sugar gradually and beat until thick and the whites hold a medium peak.  Spread or pipe over filling bake 15 minutes or until merigue is golden brown.

Either way is good.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Muddling through...