Honored Contributor

Any really good spaghetti sauce recipes you'd recommend?

Almost all the ones in the store are too high of sodium and/or add sugar or corn syrup so I decided to make my own. The recipe can contain salt, I will just modify that part. TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Any really good spaghetti sauce recipes you'd recommend?

Sorry, but we have a favorite jar kind. We don't eat it a lot anymore. Sorry.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spent a lot of time and money trying to find the "perfect" recipe for spaghetti-with-meat sauce.  After a while, I learned to pick out a jar or two of the better-quality bottles of sauce on the market and dress them up with other ingredients.

These days, to make enough sauce to eat now and have some left over to freeze, I use one or two  jars of Barilla or any other brand of basil/garlic or traditional  flavored sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, some chopped green pepper and onion, some hot pepper flakes and some sauteed ground beef and sauteed hot ground Italian sausage, then simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

This concoction is just as tasty and just as useful as my previous efforts to put  together 20 different ingredients in a pot and simmer for hours.  Not worth the time!

If you're concerned about sugar or other additives in commercial sauces,  try the Victoria brand of pasta sauce, which is tomato/basil/garlic/olive oil/sea salt.  It's available in my mainstream grocery store, right  next to Barilla, Prego, Ragu, etc.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sauce....

Two large cans of tomato puree.
One large can of tomato paste.
three or four cloves of fresh garlic.
oregano
salt and pepper, little sugar.

Saute` sliced garlic in olive oil,
add all puree, paste with a can of water from the paste.

Add oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, simmer for hours on low.
Add water now and then if it's too thick.

I also make my own
meatballs.

When I don't make my own, I use jar sauce, add the fresh garlic sauteed in olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar.  Smiley Happy  

I prefer Ragu by the way.

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I spent a lot of time and money trying to find the "perfect" recipe for spaghetti-with-meat sauce.  After a while, I learned to pick out a jar or two of the better-quality bottles of sauce on the market and dress them up with other ingredients.

These days, to make enough sauce to eat now and have some left over to freeze, I use two jars of Barilla or any other brand of basil/garlic or traditional  flavored sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, some chopped green pepper and onion, some hot pepper flakes and some sauteed ground beef and sauteed hot ground Italian sausage, then simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

This concoction is just as tasty and just as useful as my previous efforts to put gather together 20 different ingredients in a pot and simmer for hours.  Not worth the time!

I pretty much do the same, but have a tip that really makes a difference. I rinse out the jar sauce bottle (with the lid on) with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of good red wine.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like that idea, the wine would only make it better!

I always put red wine in my beef stew.

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

@cah wrote:

I like that idea, the wine would only make it better!

It does, takes it to a new level.

Esteemed Contributor

Oprah’s Four-Ingredient Tomato Sauce Recipe

Serves 2 to 4

Ingredients

1 (28-ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes (no salt or herbs added)

5 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 small onion, peeled and cut in half

Kosher salt Directions Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 1 hour In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the tomatoes; butter; onion; and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; then lower heat. Crush tomatoes lightly with the back of a spoon as they cook, and stir occasionally. Simmer very gently for 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat appear on surface of tomatoes. Remove and discard onion. Serve over warm cooked pasta.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use crushed tomatoes in mine. Just saute a little garlic and onion in olive oil, add the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, italian seasoning if you want. I usually buy Contadina crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs, but I've also used Muir Glen crushed tomatoes ( I like their fire roasted tomatoes). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I use crushed tomatoes in mine. Just saute a little garlic and onion in olive oil, add the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, italian seasoning if you want. I usually buy Contadina crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs, but I've also used Muir Glen crushed tomatoes ( I like their fire roasted tomatoes). 

This sounds like a great basic recipe I can also add too and make a variety of different kinds based on what we feel like. Like adding in some fresh basil or red wine like other have mentioned. For a bit of spiciness, maybe add some crushed red peppers. Thanks!