Honored Contributor

Any ideas for a different soup recipe?

I'm taking soup to a holiday dinner, and I want to take something different from the ones that are my regular ones! Does anyone have any good recipes? No chili please. I've done that one before! TIA! Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Re: Any ideas for a different soup recipe?

Well, if you want really different, try borscht! Smiley Happy It's beet soup. It's of Russian origin, if memory serves, and popular with Jewish people, especially at Passover. Some Christians are starting to celebrate a Passover - Easter, or Christian Passover, so it could be a new tradition for you. I suggest Pinterest for borscht recipe ideas. It can be made chilled or hot, but chilled with a dollop of sour cream is delicious and gorgeous. The soup is sweet, almost like the flavor of pickled beets at a salad bar, but not as strong. The sour cream makes a yummy contrast to the sweetness. So, there's different for ya! Of course, a potato and leek soup could work nicely if you're having ham. There's a French version called vichysoise (my spelling is probably off) that's chilled and also gets a dollop of sour cream! Cold soup is my favorite to bring - makes it easier on me and the hostess to not worry about the soup getting cold! ;-) Have fun, let us know what you end up making!

Honored Contributor

Just a thought, but I'd check All Recipes web page. People put their own twists on recipes and they even vote on the recipes. You can find one probably, that will fit something you'd choose to do. Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@LibbyLib wrote:

Well, if you want really different, try borscht! Smiley Happy It's beet soup. It's of Russian origin, if memory serves, and popular with Jewish people, especially at Passover. Some Christians are starting to celebrate a Passover - Easter, or Christian Passover, so it could be a new tradition for you. I suggest Pinterest for borscht recipe ideas. It can be made chilled or hot, but chilled with a dollop of sour cream is delicious and gorgeous. The soup is sweet, almost like the flavor of pickled beets at a salad bar, but not as strong. The sour cream makes a yummy contrast to the sweetness. So, there's different for ya! Of course, a potato and leek soup could work nicely if you're having ham. There's a French version called vichysoise (my spelling is probably off) that's chilled and also gets a dollop of sour cream! Cold soup is my favorite to bring - makes it easier on me and the hostess to not worry about the soup getting cold! ;-) Have fun, let us know what you end up making!

Please eleborate on this

Chrisitans celebrating a Passover...

why and how,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

jackthebear, I'm not LibbyLib, but I've been aware of Christians celebrating Passover for many years.  Many Christians have a heightened sense of their faith being rooted in Judaism, and participate in Seders out of respect for the deliverance they represent.

The Christian ministry "Faith and Action", which is focussed on ministry to the three branches of government in Washington D.C., holds seders annually, I believe, and I think there are videos of them at the website or on youtube.  The White House, regardless of the religion of the current occupant, also holds them every year...

Honored Contributor

Are Jewish people offended by Christians celebrating their holidays?  There was once a thread on the board about Christians wearing Stars of David and it seemed to be frowned upon, rather vigorously, if memory serves. 

Honored Contributor

I absolutely love the idea of borscht for a holiday dinner that has been suggested!

Another idea, or for anyone who just LOVES soups like I do, is the "copy" of the "Zuppa Toscana" soup that Olive Garden serves, and that everyone in our family loves.  I got it off the internet and serve often:

Zuppa Toscana

l lb. Italian sausage

2 large baking potatoes, sliced in 1/2, then in 1/4 inch slices

1 large onion, diced

1/4 cup bacon bits   (4 or 5 slices sauteed and chopped)

2 garlic cloves

2 cups kale or swiss chard, veins removed and sliced in thin ribbons (I've also substituted spinach)

2 eight ounce cans chicken broth

1 quart water

1 cup heavy cream or half and half 

Chop sausage into small pieces.  Brown, along with diced onion, minced garlic and bacon. Then remove bacon, chop and save.

Add chicken broth and water to mixture.  Add potatoes.

Cook on medium till potatoes are done.  Add bacon, salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer another 10 minutes.  Turn low, then add kale and cream.

Optional:   crushed red pepper to taste. 

Valued Contributor

If you google variations of "soup recipes" or "holiday soup recipes", you'll get a plethora of ideas. All Recipes, Foodnetwork, Tastofhome..Pinterest, have a lot of my "go to" and unique things. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell thanks for the recipe, that one is my favorite!   It has every element I love.

Valued Contributor

I was at a crock pot party once where one friend made a lemon soup (or lemongrass) with rice and I think chicken? It was delicious and might be nice for holiday. I don't know where she got the recipe but I've seen similar ones online