Honored Contributor

I really prefer 6 smaller eatings during the time I am awake. Don't like huge meals any longer. I have a decent breakfast to get the blood going, and now I'm getting tired of the noontime salad. It's not really sticking with me. I guess it's the protein my body really needs. I do better with that.

Does anyone else here eat this way too, or prefer it, and what do you eat for your nibbles or mini meals? I'm going to check on this on line for today.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any fellow nibblers here?

Sorry I can't give you any suggestions.  I know eating small meals throughout the day is the best for health but I am still a 3 squares a day kind of gal!  I don't snack but I do like my breakfast, lunch and dinner!  

Honored Contributor

QualityGal, I agree with you and, from what I have read/heard lately, it is a healthy way to live.  Unfortunately, my DH likes his three meals a day.  I try to eat smaller portions.  In between, I snack on fruit, hard boiled egg, nuts, scoop of cottage cheese or piece of cheese, leftover cold meat, peanut butter.  I find I eat more vegetables if I have dip to go with them! 😀

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I really prefer 6 smaller eatings during the time I am awake. Don't like huge meals any longer. I have a decent breakfast to get the blood going, and now I'm getting tired of the noontime salad. It's not really sticking with me. I guess it's the protein my body really needs. I do better with that.

Does anyone else here eat this way too, or prefer it, and what do you eat for your nibbles or mini meals? I'm going to check on this on line for today.

Thanks.

I found my lunch time salad was not staying with me long enough as well.  I only eat three meals a day and no between snacking (but I do have desert at dinner).  What I found helps at lunch is before my salad I have another serving of my All Bran cereal.  I do not drink milk for any reason so my one serving of cereal at breakfast (with an egg white omelet) and lunch is dry.  I like the taste of the cereal and it really fills me up.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't eat like a plate of food anymore.  I can just eat small amounts.   Since i just 'cook' for me 99% of the time now, I do a lot of one or two course meals - such as a protein and either a veg or starch.  Small amounts of course.

Sometimes I get a package of nice quality sliced smoked turkey breast and a package of sliced provolone.  I'll take two slices of provolone and some turkey on each one and eat them like a taco.

I always have some nut/seed/grain type mixes on hand.  I rather like the Squirrel Brand stuff and a small ramekin of that is a meal for me.  Clearly, I'm not eating as well as I should, but I do know that I seem to need a lot of protein.

I love veg and can't even think of a veg that I don't like.  But when you are cooking for one, it seems like you just don't get enough veg.  I usually have frozen corn and a few things on hand, so I don't have produce that gets old. 

If I had a slightly different situation, and not so many problems, I would love to eat a 'big salad' every day.  I love salads, as long as there isn't any kind of mayo or sour cream, buttermilk, based dressings.  I either make a vinaigrette or use a favorite bottled type.  I put some shredded ex-sharp cheddar in there and some sunflower seeds, so there is protein.

It's just a hassle to buy a bunch of produce for one because I never know when I might have a run of fatigue/heavy pain days where it's too difficult.  If I can grab something out of the freezer or thawed and put it on the contact grill, with some veg or something on the stove or in the microwave - I'm eating inside of 10 minutes with less physical effort.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same experience with salads not sticking with me, and I prefer smaller meals and snacks.

I like egg sandwiches made with English muffins, and I add oregano, mozzarella, tomato, and spinach.  Those really seem to fill me up.  I also like apples (honey crisp and pink ladies are my faves), popcorn, and nuts.  Instead of bread, I eat a few low fat crackers with tuna salad, chicken salad, or pimento cheese.  Oatmeal, oatmeal bars, beans, and peanut butter are also on my list.  We also eat chicken a lot around here; sometimes I make extra to heat up for another small meal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like large meals anymore either but DH still does. I also don't want to eat greasy Rib-Eye steaks either. They are good but too fatty for me. If I eat steak the only kind I want is Filet Mignon.

I have started eating samller portions during the day. I feel better. I'm also having problems trying to find high protein, low sugar, no artificial sweeteners. Trying to find a good protein powder that falls into that category.

I make peanut butter in the Vitamix & will eat a little of that & an apple, jerky every once in a while, some chicken or turkey breast, different nuts, greek yogurt, protein bars. I looked online for the best protein bars & found a site orlando dietitian where she has tired different protein bars & shows how much protein, sugar, fiber etc are in the different bars plus which ones taste good & which ones that she tried that don't taste good. Looks like I need to try the think Thin Lean Protein & Fiber Bars with 150 calories, 10 gr protein, 5 gr sugar, 5 gr fiber, no artificial sweeteners.

I'm making changes & looking for things I can eat that are higher protein, low sugar etc. for smaller meals during the day. 

I need to eat more complex carbs but I hate beans.

Honored Contributor

Ellie Krieger and Canyon Ranch have a lot of smaller plate ideas (starters and sides) that I like.  I use these primarily for lunch when I'm working from home and weekends.

http://www.canyonranch.com/your-health/food-nutrition/cooking-recipes

http://www.elliekrieger.com/recipes/

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN