Respected Contributor

Any cooks from India around here? Need advice.

A week or two ago, a food vendor at Costco was giving out samples of several types of Indian dishes--and I fell in love enough  to buy two types.

(By the way, Costco has stopped giving out food samples, due to corona virus risk)

Tonight, I'm  going to open  the package of  either.....

Chicken Tikka Masala (white chicken in a creamy tomato curry)

or

Chicken and Mango Meatballs in Tomato Curry Sauce

I plan to fix yellow rice to go along with the meat dish, but is there anything else that could be added to the sauces  (like maybe a vegetable) ,and what might be another type of item you would serve with them.??

I'm not looking to become a frequent Indian home chef, but these are interesting  (hot and spicy!!) dishes and I'd like to know what to do with them.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Any cooks from India around here? Need advice.

Not Indian or doing much cooking but.....at Indian restaurants Tikki Masala is served with rice pilaf and naan (Indian flat bread).

At Trader Joe they have Tikki Masala and Butter Chicken. It comes with rice. You can get a package of naan, plain or garlic. Delicious!

Respected Contributor

@Zaimee 

Thanks for the hints!

I said I was going to fix yellow rice, which I have in the pantry, but the box I took out of the pantry  earlier today is actually rice pilaf, so I guess I made a lucky choice by accident.  

I've had naan before, but it was a long time ago, and really liked  it.  Need to get some to serve with the Indian dishes later.

Respected Contributor

I've had many dishes that include broccoli, cauliflour, spinach, frozen peas (vs canned).  I think the sauces need a vegetable in them so choose your favorite.

Honored Contributor

I include some chopped onions and minced ginger in my tikka masala.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum

Like the peas and spinach ideas.  Have both in freezer, along with just about every other vegetable known to humankind.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Just thought of another, chick peas are also popular in Indian dishes.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1   This same company, at my Costco, sells a lemon rice and a chick pea curry (both vegan).  Both of these would be tasty with your dishes.  You might want to see if your Costco has these additional selections.  

Respected Contributor

Blanched Green Beans.

Valued Contributor

Generally in India a side salad of cucumbers and tomatoes are served.  Sometimes they add carrots and onions too.  They mix it with yogurt.  I make this sometimes and I either mix it with vinegar and oil with a little garlic powder, or ranch dressing.  Lettuce is not popular in India, most of their salads consist of cucumber, tomato and carrots chopped up.