Respected Contributor

Re: Any Recipes from High School Home Ec?

My favorite was cream eggs on toast. Make a white sauce , I like like the medium  sauce and add 3 eggs chopped to a One and a  half cups of white sauce and serve over warm  regular white toast or English Muffins.Add salt and pepper to taste to your white sauce. White sauce is just butter , flour and milk.And Breakfast sausage cooked and drain , and crumbled can be added . Or Place1 slice of cooked bacon to the tops of the toast or English Muffin, broke in half and criss crossed before spooning the white sauce over the toast. Very good on a cold morning My favorite to this day. 

Respected Contributor

Believe or not I taught the Home-Ec teacher how to cook. I really enjoyed cooking class,.She would make excuses for me to hang out with her and write excuses to get me out of the next class.Really miss her.

Respected Contributor

@Honeybit

I'll get them out later this week and see what to post.   Basically, the ones I kept were simple things like Tacos, Texas Goulash and Hamburger Pie.  But this was the mid 70's.    Nothing fancy.  All had fresh ingredients and spices though.   THere were also cards for things like fresh dinner rolls and pie crust.   I didn't keep ones like that.  I also don't remember much chicken or pork main courses.  Mostly beef.   Maybe because this was in Dallas.   Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

My favorite was cream eggs on toast. Make a white sauce , I like like the medium  sauce and add 3 eggs chopped to a One and a  half cups of white sauce and serve over warm  regular white toast or English Muffins.Add salt and pepper to taste to your white sauce. White sauce is just butter , flour and milk.And Breakfast sausage cooked and drain , and crumbled can be added . Or Place1 slice of cooked bacon to the tops of the toast or English Muffin, broke in half and criss crossed before spooning the white sauce over the toast. Very good on a cold morning My favorite to this day. 

@BeccaLou

I remember the creamed eggs we made were the “Eggs Goldenrod” - the egg whites were chopped and the yolks were sieved over the top. A little dry mustard added to the white sauce. 

The other recipes we made with white sauce were tuna noodle casserole and macaroni and cheese. 

Trusted Contributor

In addition to Eggs Goldenrod, Tuna Noodle Casserole & Macaroni & Cheese, we also made jelly, brownies, fudge, and gelatin salads of our choice. (We worked in groups of 2-4) My group made a cherry cola version out of the Jell-o booklet!  

I don’t remember doing any yeast baking like some of you but, we did make muffins. Look out for those “tunnels”!  

This was 1967-69. 

Trusted Contributor

@Honeybit@Bridgegal

Our cafeteria cooks also made wonderful yeast items. Big fluffy Dinner Rolls, Cinnamon Rolls and Hamburger Buns. 

Respected Contributor

To the dried meat and cream cheese spread on a warm tortilla was a green onion placed in the middle of the the tortilla and rolled up tight and they were called a Donkey Tail. I also remember pumpkin pie from sratch made with a small brown pumpkin cut and boiled and the scraped out and mashed for the filling. Those pies were so fantastic homemade like that . I really miss High School so many great memories.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember 7% pop that was used to make Christmas drinks ? Can it still be purchased ?It taste like Grapefruit. And then there was Fresca and I don't ever see that around any where.It came out in the later part of the 60"s .And I always wanted know why they called it 7%, maybe there was liquor in it. 

Respected Contributor

Some people must have had better Home Ec class experiences than I did.  The day the teacher had us make potato soup, I got so sick to my stomach that I haven't gotten within a half-mile of potato soup ever since.

I did learn to sew a little bit in Home Ec, when the  curriculum focus wasn't on cooking gross food.

My last experience with Home Ec class was in the early 1960s.  Have no  desire to revisit one.

Respected Contributor

@Barbarainne. 

My Mother was also a Home Economics major. I also went into the field. She was the seamstress. She taught Tailoring when I was young..She went back to work when I was nine years old as an Extension Agent. Unfortunately with programs phasing out I went back to school and obtained a Masters in Guidance and Counseling to keep employed. I worked with At-risk students.

The few schools that still have classes now call it Family and Consumer Ed. or FACE. Yes Life Skills, Parenting, Child Development, Family Relationships, Nutrition are important. Less Clothing and Interior Design. Some Schools have a more Vocational Emphasis and have Chef classes. Yes like Arts, Music etc. phased out in many schools.  I still judge at county fairs.