Respected Contributor

Re: Any Recipes from High School Home Ec?

Back in the early 60's, a student was invited to show all of us how to make tacos at our northern school.  Back then corn tortillas, canned, were the only way they were sold in stores.  We were hooked.  I don't remember even using seasoning, maybe chili powder, hamburger, small red beans, cheese, lettuce and tomato, maybe onion but as teenage girls, we were probably resistant to raw onions.

Respected Contributor

No but the school cafeteria where I taught in the 60's and 70's had the best food.   One xmas, the women in the cafeteria typed up the recipes on 4x6 cards and gave a set to all of the teachers.   We'd asked them so many times for the recipe for this and that.   During one of my many moves, I went through them and pull out my favorites.   I still have them.

Regular Contributor

What a fun thread.  7th grade 1962.  Sewing and cooking. My only home ec classes I ever got a chance to take.   Same teacher. Different semesters.   I learned the basics of both and went on to a lot more...But, Mrs. F entered recipe contests ( Better Homes and Gardens) and won many contests.  Very proud that there were cash prizes.  (Made it somehow more prestigious.)   She shared them all with us, helping us start our very first recipe files.  We cut out the recipes and glued them on notecards.  I still have them.  My favorite that my mom and sisters and I loved was a hot salami sandwich.  You ground up ( no Cuisinarts around then) hard cotto salami with a meltable cheese, worstershire sauce, dry mustard.  Put the mixture in a slider bun.  Wrapped tightly in foil.  Warmed in a slow temp oven until cheese melted.  Mrs. F. called it her "prize winning recipe".  NOW to the best part of the story...I love to collect recipe books and really love the versions of Joy of Cooking.  My mom, age 92, is out garage saleing in my hometown.  She picked up a cookbook for me.  Yep, Joy of Cooking.  Version 1942.  I loved it.  Took a look and had to sit down.  It was Mrs. F's.  She had two sons, no daughters.  Someone had a garage sale and sold it.  Inside the cover was a note written to her.  It was a gift from her husband and was given to her when she went to Hawaii to see him on leave during  WWII.  Only thing that crosses my mind is that her Joy of Cooking needed a home.

Trusted Contributor

Back in 1971 when I was in 8th grade,  girls took Home Ec and boys took shop class.  There were no cooking classes that I can recall, but we took sewing.  We each had to make an outfit.

I was, and still am, in love with bunnies, so when Mom took me to the fabric store I found this light blue cloth with while little bunnies on them.  I was going to make a jumper.

I was not a good student.  My mother couldn't really cook let alone sew, but thankfully our next door neighbor's Mom helped me out.  We had to wear our outfits to school and I never mentioned I didn't sew this myself.  I think I got a B for a grade.

Honored Contributor

I took that class & changed to a different course after hearing what we would be doing during class. I was not interested. Had to go to the office & make them let me take something. LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Boy Home Ec was great for a poor kid like me, I knew I was going to eat! I remember a spam pinwheel bread we made with Bisquick. Might sound gross but it was good!  We also made a cake with pistachio pudding and yellow cake mix. Yum. 

The one thing I still do today that she told us over and over is. Alway dry out your sink, never leave your sink or around it messy or wet. To this day I still do this. Drives DH crazy sometimes. 🤣

Thanks for taking some of us down memory lane @Honeybit

Esteemed Contributor

Great thread, @Honeybit. I remember making an apron and making biscuits. I know we made more food than that, but I can't remember what. I loved that teacher, Mrs. Merrick.

Respected Contributor

We made chili & butterscotch kisses. I still make butterscotch kisses most  Christmas. This year I could not find butterscotch morsels so used Chocolate chips instead.

We made an apron in the sewing part.

Maybe they should bring it back to teach the younger generation how to cook.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I attended high school in the early 70's, students were 'tracked' to a pre-determined schedule of classes according to the administration's perception of each student's aptitudes.  I was determined to be best put on the 'college-bound' track, which did not prescribe a "Home-Ec" class.  Consequently, my cooking skills were gleaned from cooking with my mother and grandmother.  I inherited their recipe collections after their passing.  Also, many former co-workers and friends have contributed their favorites to my recipe collection.  Guess you could say I was 'home-schooled" when it comes to Home Economics.  

Valued Contributor

Got such a kick out of seeing this thread.  Just had family here for a Christmas luncheon today.  Served an Angel Food Ice Cream Cake for dessert.  While grandchildren were enjoying their cake, they asked how I did it.  Memories flooded back of learning to make this in H.S. Home Ec class and have been making it ever since for Christmas!