Respected Contributor

Re: Any Recipes from High School Home Ec?

I had Home Ec!  We had 6 months of sewing, which was wonderful and I loved it.  I have not forgotten my skills and still do plenty of hand- mending, and machine sewing today!  

We had cooking too.  I remember 1 thing that stayed with me.  Hard Cheeses only go bad on the outside rim, so if you cut the outer edge away, it’s fine to eat inside!  I just did that to a wedge of cheddar yesterday...  

Valued Contributor

@turquoisebb wrote:

What a fun thread.  7th grade 1962.  Sewing and cooking. My only home ec classes I ever got a chance to take.   Same teacher. Different semesters.   I learned the basics of both and went on to a lot more...But, Mrs. F entered recipe contests ( Better Homes and Gardens) and won many contests.  Very proud that there were cash prizes.  (Made it somehow more prestigious.)   She shared them all with us, helping us start our very first recipe files.  We cut out the recipes and glued them on notecards.  I still have them.  My favorite that my mom and sisters and I loved was a hot salami sandwich.  You ground up ( no Cuisinarts around then) hard cotto salami with a meltable cheese, worstershire sauce, dry mustard.  Put the mixture in a slider bun.  Wrapped tightly in foil.  Warmed in a slow temp oven until cheese melted.  Mrs. F. called it her "prize winning recipe".  NOW to the best part of the story...I love to collect recipe books and really love the versions of Joy of Cooking.  My mom, age 92, is out garage saleing in my hometown.  She picked up a cookbook for me.  Yep, Joy of Cooking.  Version 1942.  I loved it.  Took a look and had to sit down.  It was Mrs. F's.  She had two sons, no daughters.  Someone had a garage sale and sold it.  Inside the cover was a note written to her.  It was a gift from her husband and was given to her when she went to Hawaii to see him on leave during  WWII.  Only thing that crosses my mind is that her Joy of Cooking needed a home.

What a great story, Turquoisebb! Woman Happy

That ground salami sandwich sounds pretty good!

My high school counselor convinced me to take "bachelor living," arguing that college admittance officials liked to see applicants with a few fun courses on their course list. Right. I fell for it. The reality was that the home ec teacher wanted some girls in the class to calm down the out-of-control boys. I ended up being the only girl in the class. <cringe> But I actually learned a lot of useful stuff. Like how to make a pie crust, how to make bread and biscuits, how to shop for different cuts of meat and how to grill a steak properly and make an omelet. My mom never made any of that stuff. And how to sew a button on a shirt so it doesn't fall off. 

The only recipe I still have is for "Poor man's lobster" which is just boiled fish with dill and lemon. I still fix it occasionally. 

Looking back I think it was a wonderful class. 

Frequent Contributor

I don’t have recipes I messed around mostly in home ec with friends  one year we put salt instead of sugar in pumpkin pie another period ate our pie and the pie we ate was good. I don’t like pumpkin pie.

In jr. Height we had a cooking teacher from he—- and a sewing teacher from there too. My friend says that’s why we hate sewing! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't remember much but on one occasion- we work in groups to make a pasta dish. The pasta wasn't cooked through and it became a crunchy pasta dish. I don't remember if we ran out of time or didn't know the proper way to test for cooked pasta. 

The sewing class was a complete hot mess. The sleeves were wonky. I still can't sew except for a button or doing a quick mend. I have come a long way for cooking/baking. 

Trusted Contributor

i subbed in a home ec classwith 7th graders.  the teacher had planned to let them cook,but i did not have to do so.  but i told them that we would cook but the kitchen untis had to be spotless when they left.  they had a very good time cooking and when i went back to that school, the regular teacher asked me what i had done because the units were spotless when she got back.  iguess kids can be fun if you work with them

Trusted Contributor

in highschool. i had a wonderful home ec teacher.  she was not much older then her students.  shehad a rule, if you cheated on a test you failed her class no questions asked. well, wehad a test and i cheated.  she kept watching me  as i took the test.  finallyi turned in the test and she asked why i hadn't finsihed it.  itold her was cheating and she knew i was cheating.  she then told me that it meant i failed  her class.  i told her that i knew the rules.

when report cards came ouit, she gave me an A-.  after classi went in and asked her what had happened,  she told me that it was my reward for being honest.with her.

iran into her later and she asked me if i remembered the test.  i said yes and she told me that she was in her first year of teaching and she had never had nayone cheat.  she just did not know what to do.  she was so glad that i came up and gave her the test..

ireally loved mrs hardman and she was the reason that i became a teacher.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I took Home Ec but can't remember a thing we made.  I know I had to make an apron in the sewing part and a gathered skirt.  

We had to make dresses and wear them to school. I recall hating the class but liked the cooking class.