Trusted Contributor

Any Cheesecake Bakers here? What Did I Do Wrong?

I made a recipe for lemon cheesecake bites.  The recipe said to twist apart a vanilla oreo cookie and use the side without frosting in the bottom of a cupcake liner.  The part of the cookie with the frosting was put in the food processor and pulsed until it was crumbs.  

The filling had cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon extract.  

The directions said to put some filling in the cup, put some of the crumbly mixture on top and cover with more filling.  Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, or until set.

I watched and the cheesecake puffed.  After 18 minutes I checked them and they were not set.  I baked them an additional five minutes and all of a sudden one pan started caving in.  The other two pans also caved in when taken out.  Needless to say, I could not take them to the fundraiser.  After they were cool, I tasted them and the filling was nice and lemony and tasted like it was done.  

What went wrong?  I've baked cheesecake before but that was probably 40-45 years ago and they were whole cheesecakes and not muffin size and I never had a problem like this.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Any Cheesecake Bakers here? What Did I Do Wrong?

[ Edited ]

@wismiss   I had posted this recipe several months ago after I made them.  According to the picture they do not get high and it was normal.  That is why I iced them with a layer of vanilla instant pudding made with heavy cream , lemon zest and lemon juice or extract.

Honored Contributor

I don’t think you did anything wrong.   I think you simply tried a new recipe and had preconceived expectations of the finished product.   The end result sounds fine to me.   

Honored Contributor

I make cheese cake in cupcake papers.  They always have an indentation on top in the middle.  I usually fill this spot with cherry preserves so they look pretty.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you did nothing wrong. I have made mini cheesecakes before in muffin pans and they are usually a bit sunken in the center although they are done. Btw, I learned the hard way not to make a brand new recipe for a fundraiser donation....I always stick with the tried-and-true.😉