Respected Contributor

An idea for embellishing mashed potatoes

This might not be new to you all, but it was new to me when I sampled some at Costco yesterday.  Boursin herb cheese was mixed into mashed potatoes, and it was delicious.

I buy varieties of  Boursin  cheese spreads every Christmas for entertaining, and I'm becoming a fan of the refrigerated mashed potatoes sold by Costco, BJ's and other grocery stores. 

Those stores sell better brands of  prepared, refrigerated mashed potatoes than the more commonly-found  Bob Evans brand.    Mixing with herb cheese takes them to a higher level.  Also a more fattening level, but......hey..........it's the holiday season.

Honored Contributor

Re: An idea for embellishing mashed potatoes

@novamc1I like to add garlic and nutritional yeast.

Trusted Contributor

I always add a container of French Onion chip dip to my mashed potatoes, they are delicious.

Respected Contributor

A taste of flavored mashed potatoes is nice but I really prefer plain mashed.  I use the plain mashed as a bite between all the other highly flavoured/ seasoned foods on my Thanksgiving dinnerplate. Everything has a flavor and I like to know what each thing tastes like.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine

I like plain mashed potatoes, too.  The Boursin cheese version I tasted was very good and probably works in some settings, such as a small gathering I plan to hold in December for some neighbors, where I'm not really serving a whole dinner but want to give people at least a little substantial food.

But nothing beats really good plain mashed potatoes, with a little  butter, salt--- and gravy if it's available.

Trusted Contributor

Another idea:

1 large vadalia onion chopped (best)

1 tsp evoo

1/2 tsp sage

1/4 cup cream cheese lite or regular

1/2 cup greek yogurt

1 tsp worchestershire sauce

salt + pepper

Heat oil in medium pan low heat, add onions,sage, salt and pepper and cook til soft about 10 minutes.  Stir in cream cheese, yogurt, worchestershire sauce and cook thru.

It's perfect with extra onions u need to use up, I mix it in mashed potatoes. Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Since I do stuffing and rice for Thanksgiving, I do stuffed potatoes in the baked skin for Christmas to go with beef.

My "fancy" mashed potatoes are to boil 4 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped: covered completely with water.  (Christmas, I bake and scoop out of the skin which I refil).

Then, I add, 1/2 stick of real butter and 1/2 lg container, (8 oz) sour cream.  Salt and pepper.  Mix with hand mixer.  

Stir in by hand, 1/3 C real bacon bits.

May sprinkle shredded cheddar.

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with this type of cheese, but I have been putting a hard cheese in my mashers for a while now. One fav of mine is asiago.

I kind of, as usual with most things, have my own unique way of making mashers though.   I don't use cream or milk at all.  I leave the skins on (and scrub them really good of course), and hand-mash.   I don't like the babyfood texture they get when they put them in a mixer or something.  Hand mashed keeps them like potatoes.

I just use the hard cheese, a pretty good amount of butter, and s&p - handmash and they are very enjoyable.  It's actually like you're eating potatoes - not a bunch of other stuff.  Smiley Happy   At least we both like them that way.  

Mashed potatoes are one of the things I'll miss this year the most since I'm not doing anything, due to my injury.  Mostly, actually, just that and the turkey and gravy.   I'd be happy with just those three things but I always also make a dressing (my own recipe), a veg dish (usually a green bean, almonds, pancetta, and mushroom dish I made up), and then pumpkin pie, as he always requests that.

Respected Contributor

I've add the Boursin (sp) herbed cheese. On occasion, instead of plain butter I add Kerry Gold herbed butter.  I usually add the herbed butter when I make Yukon gold smashed potatoes. I have also added horseradish/sour cream in mashed potatoes when I make corned beef and cabbage.

Potatoes are so versatile...you can add whatever you like from herbs, cheese, onions, etc.  It's all good.

Frequent Contributor

Besides butter and salt and pepper, I add some creamed horseradish to my mashed potatoes and sprinkle crumbly bacon bits on top.