Respected Contributor

Re: An Easy Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe

Chinese Lo Mein With Peanut Butter Sauce forrestwolf

For Lo mein

8 ounces spaghetti, we just use the 16 ounce box and use a little more liquid for the other things, double your sauce if using 16 oz pasta

1 large carrot, chopped, can use frozen defrosted carrots or frozen defrosted peas instead or both carrots and peas

1 large onion, chopped, we prefer scallions

water

salt

For peanut butter sauce

2 tablespoons peanut butter

2 tablespoons hot water

3 tablespoons light sodium soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon ginger powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Boil pasta in water with salt just till cooked al dente, don’t over cook. Add carrot and onion. Cook until pasta is al dente and drain.

Place peanut butter in a small bowl. Using hot tap water, stir into peanut butter. (May adjust by using more water if desired thinner sauce).

Add remaining ingredients and stir into noodles. Serve warm or cold. (I like to add stir fried pork or any left over meat or chicken which I have stir fried to mine)

Honored Contributor

oooops

Respected Contributor

On 4/9/2015 doglover3 said:

Chinese Lo Mein With Peanut Butter Sauce forrestwolf

For Lo mein

8 ounces spaghetti, we just use the 16 ounce box and use a little more liquid for the other things, double your sauce if using 16 oz pasta

1 large carrot, chopped, can use frozen defrosted carrots or frozen defrosted peas instead or both carrots and peas

1 large onion, chopped, we prefer scallions

water

salt

For peanut butter sauce

2 tablespoons peanut butter

2 tablespoons hot water

3 tablespoons light sodium soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon ginger powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Boil pasta in water with salt just till cooked al dente, don’t over cook. Add carrot and onion. Cook until pasta is al dente and drain.

Place peanut butter in a small bowl. Using hot tap water, stir into peanut butter. (May adjust by using more water if desired thinner sauce).

Add remaining ingredients and stir into noodles. Serve warm or cold. (I like to add stir fried pork or any left over meat or chicken which I have stir fried to mine)

Dear Doglover3,

This recipe sound absolutely delicious and very doable. I like to keep 8 ounce packages of cooked meats on hand in the freezer, so this sounds like something I could pull together with stuff I already have on hand. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

All the best,

Writer with Flair

Respected Contributor

quite welcome. I have a friend from the Philippines and this is similar to how she makes her veggie lo mein. She said to never use angel hair, will get too mushy, just use regular spaghetti but can use the thin spaghetti just not angel hair. She likes to saute with peanut oil for flavor and puts fresh garlic in hers instead of garlic powder.

She uses cabbage in hers as well as scallions but veggies are up to you, experiment and see how you prefer yours.

We like lo mein and fried rice here.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the recipes! Will definitely try my hand at them.

Honored Contributor

I just ran into this thread looking for the asparagus one. I meant to go back & save the recipes & never did.

Thanks for all the great recipes & ideas!

Honored Contributor

These recipes look great and easy to prepare so I will try one tonight.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is an easy favorite Lo Mein recipe I love which is very forgiving, and if there is anything you do not like you can leave it out, or make your own substitutions.

I use whatever pasta which is thin and long like Chinese lo mein noodles that I have on hand in my pantry if I can't get to my Chinese market to buy the noodles.

I favor angel hair, linguini, or spaghetti noodles.

Either way it is ........well the web site name in the recipe address below says it all, because that is exactly what it is..........enjoySmiley Happy.

Just click on this link below and you will be transported to the recipe site.

http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/03/easy-lo-mein/