Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@RinaRina  I agree with other posters. You have to wrap them in something then put in a freezer bag. I wrap in foil, then into the bag.

==============================================

Got it.

FOIL, then a freezer bag.

Thank you.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Shelf life of any uncooked meat is not very long . Yrs ago , I shopped at a particular grocery store . I am always looking at the expiration date of anything I buy   along with sell by date  on  the meat .  I was so sick of  buying chicken that smelled bad as soon as I opened the package , that I began  ripping the packages open  as soon as I paid for the meat to keep from making an extra trip back to the store. Finally , I  began doing business with a meat market that was further away .

===========================================

I've always chosen burger meat by expiration date.

I think my problem was two-fold ...

#1- Refrigerating the meat for a few days, then making patties before the expiration date.

#2- Freezer - Using Zip lock bags.  I didn't know using aluminum foil made a differece.

And I didn't know "freezer bags" made a difference.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

If you plan to freeze anything longer than a few weeks, a food saver is a wonderful investement and it really does "save" foods without freezer burn.

We use ours for meat all the time and it really does work! 

Honored Contributor

If you're vacuum-sealing it, it should have a pretty good life in the freezer.

You're not buying it at Walmart are you?  They have been caught up in dying older meat and putting new 'best by' dates on it.   

Does it have a smell to it?

What I'd do is make the patties and then put them in the freezer to firm up and get at least mostly frozen, then vac-seal them.  Date them and keep a rotation.  But they would stay totally good (assuming they go in the freezer fresh) for quite a while.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I eating "bad" Meat?

[ Edited ]

I buy 2 pounds and split it and then freeze. I'm sure many people do that and have no issues. Since I buy it unfrozen why what it would be bad to repackage and freeze. As long as you don't wait for several days to do that. I know that you're supposed to use unfrozen meat within a few days. 

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@RinaRina I don't know, honestly. I'm 72 and for at least 40 years I've bought hamburger in bulk or packs, made patties and froze them. We thawed as needed and cooked. No problems ever.

Are you buying meat that is  possibly not as fresh as it should be? Are you thawing it in the fridge and not on the kitchen counter (a huge no no IMO for health reasons)?

Maybe someone else will have some ideas. But if a batch of meat tastes "off" I would throw it out.

=======================================================

I got non-stick aluminum wrap and freezer bags and used those.  The meat is fine.

Seems like overkill, tho'.  Maybe I can just use the aluminum.

The meat tasted fine when cooked.  However, I did buy meat from a different store.

Not sure I'm gonna repurchase at the "discount" place.  It's just not worth the chance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CLHS68 wrote:

How long has it been frozen.? Perhaps freezer burn.

That's intersting.  I didn't know freezer burn changes the flavor.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina  Wrap them in what?

==============================

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina  Danger.gif

With ground beef you should always use either freezer paper or Food Saver.   And most important, always "date it" right befor you put it in the freezer.

===========================================

I thought you meant freezer bags.  

I've never heard of freezer "paper", but I just ordered some from AMZN.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

If you're just putting a hamburger patty in a ziploc bag and putting it in the freezer, there's the problem.   

=================================================

Amazing!   I never would've guessed.

And it appears the meat had freezer burn eventho' it had NOT been in the freezer for more than 5 days.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

If you're vacuum-sealing it, it should have a pretty good life in the freezer.

You're not buying it at Walmart are you?  They have been caught up in dying older meat and putting new 'best by' dates on it.   

Does it have a smell to it?

No.  I know WMT hamburger meat is bad.

Thanks.