Honored Contributor

Re: Am I eating "bad" Meat?

[ Edited ]

Just guessing @RinaRina but I don't think it will make you sick. However, I wrap ground beef patties tightly in foil before freezing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I eating "bad" Meat?

[ Edited ]

I dont buy much meat but when I do get hamburger meat I will cook it before I freeze it always. Then I can thaw and use in whatever recipe I am using it for and its ready.

Anytime food doesnt smell right I throw it out. Not taking any chances.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Freezer burn will not make meat spoil, but it will degrade the taste.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I've been buying a lot of hamburger meat.

I open the packages, shape them into patties, wrap them and then store in the freezer.

I've noticed some of them seem to have a weird taste.  Not all - but some.

Am i eating bad meat?

Are you supposed cook hamburger meat once the package has been opened?

@RinaRina 

As long as you wash your hands, store in air-tight clean containers, it should be good for a few months.  However, if it becomes slightly freezer-burned, it will take on a new taste.  Won't kill you.  Won't come close but it just won't taste right.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina  Wrap them in what?

==============================

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina  Make sure air is completely removed from each bag and then take all the bags together and wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.  When you remove one zip loc bag for the patty, put the other remaining bags with patties in aluminum foil.  Replace into the freezer immediately.  DON'T wrap them in one package or one container.  Each patty should have its own zip-loc bag and then wrap in aluminum foil or place all of them in air-tight rubbermaid containers.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@RinaRina  Wrap them in what?

==============================

Plastic zip lock bags.

@RinaRina  Make sure air is completely removed from each bag and then take all the bags together and wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.  When you remove one zip loc bag for the patty, put the other remaining bags with patties in aluminum foil.  Replace into the freezer immediately.  DON'T wrap them in one package or one container.  Each patty should have its own zip-loc bag and then wrap in aluminum foil or place all of them in air-tight rubbermaid containers.

========================================

I started doing that.  Then realized, I'm using an awful lot of supplies; "bags", freezer paper, foil, etc.    The supplies to freeze the meat cost more than the meat itself.  Woman Frustrated

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I use my Foodsaver or freezer wrap for all my meats.