Trusted Contributor

I don't know what I'm going to do with these yet.  I might just snack on them raw.  I just thought these were so pretty.  This picture doesn't do them justice.  Seeing them all lined up on a special display at the grocery store was striking.  I should have snapped a pic of that! 

20210110_164331.jpg

Honored Contributor

Oh wow!  They ARE so pretty!

Are they some kind of bell pepper?    I love bell peppers - get them nice and cold, and slice up to eat just like that.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

They are beautiful! I will often dip Aloha peppers in hummus. Because I feel like they do look too appetizing  to chop for a salad or stir fry! 

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt  I just found a great site for "Specialty Produce" that gives details about these beauties:

https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Striped_Holland_Bell_Peppers_13507.php

Apparently, the bell peppers were discovered in a garden in the Netherlands.  They are also known as Enjoya peppers.  They are a hybrid of red and yellow bell peppers.  Who knew!  

Trusted Contributor

@Mellyg  Oooo I think raw with hummus is the way to go.  Great idea, thx!

Honored Contributor

I've never even heard of these but the look great. Does it taste like a red pepper?

Esteemed Contributor

Looks good, should enjoy sliced and cold.  Dip anyone?

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I've never even heard of these but the look great. Does it taste like a red pepper?

Whenever I've had Aloha peppers, I've found them to be sweeter and a tad milder than red peppers  (but the taste is similar, IMO).

@LdyBugz , I just remembered, I made vegetarian stuffed peppers with them before. And the presentation was more appealing than green bell peppers. I think I preferred them raw, but they were very inexpensive at a farmers market and overbought! 

Honored Contributor

How pretty!  These days, mini lunchbox peppers are my go to.  I cut them in half, remove any seeds, spread with a little cream cheese and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.  I would go the same with these or just enjoy them plain. 

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse  I nibbled on some plain slices last night.  The pepper is nice, and very much like a red pepper to me.  Maybe just a teensy bit less sweet.  A good snack though!