Honored Contributor

Re: Almost Cabbage Roll Casserole

@LilBitMissty @That sounds really good.
i usually make cabbage rolls but this is much quicker to put together.

Super Contributor

I have used a very similar recipe for years - love it!

I also ad raisins...yummm Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Looks similar to the recipe my mom used, she got it from a Polish immigrant many many years ago

But I have a question.   She would par cook the beef to remove some grease.   How do you avoid a greasy soupy mess?

There's a video on Youtube of Martha Stewart making stuffed cabbage with her mom.

I've made one from allecipes called "Cabbage Roll Casserole" that calls for the ground beef to be browned & fat drained before mixing with additional ingredients.   

@LilBitMissty  recipe sounds wayyyy more flavorful. so I'll have to try it!

Thank you!

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't  read all the comments, so maybe this was mentioned.  I've tried this recipe and It's very good.  A time-saver for me is to use shredded cabbage, Cole slaw mix, instead of shredding the head of cabbage.  Just a thought.   

Respected Contributor

This sounds delicious and I’m making it this weekend. I’m substituting eggplant for meat.

Thank you for posting the recipe !!

Valued Contributor

Wow that sounds delicious and a lot less work than cabbage rolls.  Need to give this a try.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

This post inspired me to make unstuffed cabbage last night

I used on can of cranberry sauce, one can of diced tomatoes, a bag a of cole slaw mix for the cabbage and ground turkey.

I added a handful of raisins and  2 tablespoons of brown sugar.

I let the cranberry and tomatoes heat added the cabbage and made small meat balls with the ground turkey

It was a great easy meal on a chilly day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

This sounds delicious and I’m making it this weekend. I’m substituting eggplant for meat.

Thank you for posting the recipe !!

I would like to reduce the amount of meat that I use and I like eggplant. What would you do to the eggplant to use it in this or any other casserole? 

I have also used a similar recipe that goes around on Facebook for cabbage roll soup it is very good. It might be good with eggplant, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Looks similar to the recipe my mom used, she got it from a Polish immigrant many many years ago

But I have a question.   She would par cook the beef to remove some grease.   How do you avoid a greasy soupy mess?

There's a video onYoutubee of Martha Stewart making stuffed cabbage with her mom.

@software We always buy 90 percent lean ground beef, and with that I don't think the grease would be a problem.  

And we almost always brown ground beef anyway for something like this because the carmelization  is so good.  

Respected Contributor

I’ve cut thick slices (like steak) and quick-sear in olive oil. You can slice it across or length-wise, skin on or peeled.

Eggplant is a favorite of mine that I sub for meat.  Can’t wait for this to be done...