Respected Contributor

@tabbycat   Yes, you need certain induction capable pans which have a certain amount of iron in them UNLESS you purchase a separate induction disk.  Supposedly, these induction discs transfer the heat to other vessels such as glass, ceramic, pyrex, but you are losing some of the benefits of induction. 

The site I reference is theinductionsite.com if you want more info.

An easy way to determine if your pot will work is to stick a magnet to it.  If the magnet sticks, it'll work on induction.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Tabbycat   Yes, you need certain induction capable pans which have a certain amount of iron in them UNLESS you purchase a separate induction disk.  Supposedly, these induction discs transfer the heat to other vessels such as glass, ceramic, pyrex, but you are losing some of the benefits of induction. 

The site I reference is theinductionsite.com if you want more info.

An easy way to determine if your pot will work is to stick a magnet to it.  If the magnet sticks, it'll work on induction.

Thanks. I knew you needed a certain type of cookware. I will get out a magnet to check. 

Just checked my hard anodized cookware & the magnet does not stick. It sticks to my bakeware. I really don't want to buy new cookware in order to use this.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@denisemb .... thanks for that info. I saw one at Sams Club yesterday and something on the box read about special cookwear. Gosh, it was $99.... I knew someone here would know about them.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Respected Contributor

As for what works with induction...........usually stainless steel and any type of cast iron.  I have some stainless steel pots and pans that do not work with induction and some that do.  Depends on what metals are encapsulated in the bottoms.

Many aluminum pans(hard-anodized and other types) do not generally work, but I think even QVC is offering hard-anodized these days that have bottoms specially made for induction.

Induction is reportedly "the wave of the future" so just about all pots and pans--no matter what they're made of-- should be "getting with the program" and work on all heat sources.

Here's one example of a relatively inexpensive pot from QVC that will work with induction--

http://www.qvc.com/CooksEssentials-3qt-Saucepot-&-Magnetic-Trivet-w-Color-Smart-Nonstick.product.K38...

Super Contributor

@novamc1 .... now thats's really interesting. I'm behind the times and guess it's time to catch up.... LOL.

I just checked some of my cook wear with the magnet. I have an old set of Cooks Essentials with non-stick coating, at least 13 YO, that the magnet sticks tight. I also have a set of Wolfgang Puck Stainless, about the same age with no coating, it would not stick. It would not stick to any of my Cooks Essentials hard anodized pieces. It sticks to my cast iron pieces.

My next question ...  it may not be safe to use cookwear with the non stick coating with these  induction burners?

I need to look at some new cookwear anyway. I am going to be in the market for a new stove before long because mine is on it's last leg already. My luck, it will decide to die right around the Holidays!  Thanks @novamc1

Respected Contributor

@Tabbycat

No problem with using nonstick on an induction burner.  You adjust the induction gadget the same way you adjust any stove.........you can even regulate the temperature better with the induction burner, because the degrees are shown digitally.

Super Contributor

Thank you @novamc1.  I think I'll take the plunge on that one at Aldi, if I'm not too late. I need to experience something a little more current. You have a sunny day!

Trusted Contributor

They go on sale 10/21

After buying mine I went to Bealls outlet with a magnet and purchased a large fry pan.  Pretty much have used that,  I have a "fifth burner Pot"  and use it for low country boil and boiled eggs.

Boop

Respected Contributor

If anyone is looking for a non-stick induction frypan, 4uthebest turned me on to the T-Fal Elegance SS 12" non-stick skillet (not to be confused with all SS).  It's available at Walmart.com for around $30.  It's fantastic!  My niece swears she's going to steal it from me!  Wish they made a smaller version.Skillet

Denise