Honored Contributor

Advice please, with this banana bundt cake recipe.

I was thinking of making this banana bundt cake.

The directions call for freezing the cake, in the pan, directly out of the oven. 

Have you ever done this?  Do you think it's vital to the recipe?

I won't be frosting mine, if that matters at all.

Thank you.

Best Ever Banana Bundt Cake Recipe

Prep time
25 mins
Cook time
70 mins
Total time
1 hour 35 mins

Exceptinally Moist and flavorful. A special "freezer trick" locks in the moisture. I like to serve the cake slightly chilled. And it just gets better and more moist each day, so when possible make it at least a day in advance of when you plan to serve it.
Author: Slightly adapted from a recipe on Dessert.Food
Recipe type: Cake
Cuisine: Dessert
Serves: 15
Ingredients
  • ½ cup softened butter
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 2⅛ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1½ cup buttermilk, (i use sour milk* or ½ plain yogurt half milk if I don't have butter milk)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ cups smashed very ripe bananas, I use 3 or 4 bananas

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside
  3. Smash the bananas and mix in the 2 tsp of lemon juice and set aside
  4. Using a hand mixer or your stand mixer combine, butter, oil and sugar and mix thoroughly
  5. Add eggs one at a time and mix just until combined
  6. Add vanilla, salt, and butter milk. Mix well, scrape edges and bottom of bowl to make sure everything is well combined
  7. Add baking soda and flour mix gently and then add bananas and mix gently again.
  8. Pour the cake batter evenly into the greased and floured bundt pan (do not fill bundt pan more than ⅔ full) and bake in the 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Immediately after removing cake from oven. Put cake (still in the pan) into your freezer and freeze for 45-60 minutes.
  10. Remove and frost with Cream Cheese Icing. I use ½ cup softened butter, 1 (8 ounce) softened cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla and three cups of powdered sugar. I use salted butter, if yours is not salted add a pinch of salt,

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice please, with this banana bundt cake recipe.

Haven't done this, but gonna try it for sure!

@house_cat, would you cover pan with foil or saran wrap prior to freezing?

Valued Contributor

It could be to cool down fast as cakes usually keep cooking after removing from the oven just by cooling slowly.  I always do exactly as recipe calls for the first time I make it to make sure I either like it or don't like it.  I experiment the second or third time I try it.  Good luck, it sounds good.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme

I don't know, but my hunch is that it should be left uncovered.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@eddyandme

I don't know, but my hunch is that it should be left uncovered.

@house_cat, just concerned it could pick up odor - I can never smell anything but they say when refrigerating things they should be covered.

I'm baking a strawberry cake (pkg mix) to bring for Christmas dinner.  Thinking I might try freezing it like this before frosting it.  My relatives always bake from scratch,  I'm gonna start from scratch one of these days, but too busy around holidays. If I do try this method, I'll let you know how it worked.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

Whenever I use fresh bananas to cook the finished product degrades in like  like 2 or 3 days.  Many instructions give about that much freshness time.

Never made a cake like you will, sounds delicious

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What size bundt pan???

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  With regular layer cakes, freezing them locks in moisture and actually improves the texture. 

@eddyandme I read through the comments after the recipe and found the author's reply to someone:  

Maria: "Glad it is working out. I do not cover it in the freezer, it may condensate and drip onto cake. I like to freeze it for at least an hour but longer is fine. I have even left it in the freezer overnight before."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

Thank you for doing the investigative work for us!  I found the recipe this morning but was too busy today to do anything else about it.  I'm surprised that in all my years of baking, I've never heard of putting the cake directly from oven to freezer.  I guess it will be an experiment.

We had all kinds of sweets come into this house in the last week - lots of homebaked gifts from my students and coworkers.  I hate to say it, but most have been thrown away. I'm having guests again tonight, and when they're gone I'm cleaning out of all the candy and cookies and baking this banana bundt cake, as I almost always have some kind of simple coffee cake on my counter. I like a piece with my tea in the afternoon and sometimes my skinny-bolink husband gets tempted in the evening and eats a hunk.  I might add a simple glaze, or just some powdered sugar, but I won't be frosting it. 

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@house_cat  With regular layer cakes, freezing them locks in moisture and actually improves the texture. 

@eddyandme I read through the comments after the recipe and found the author's reply to someone:  

Maria: "Glad it is working out. I do not cover it in the freezer, it may condensate and drip onto cake. I like to freeze it for at least an hour but longer is fine. I have even left it in the freezer overnight before."

@IamMrsG

THANK  YOU!