Respected Contributor

Re: Advice, please re "golden brown"

@zanna I recently had an issue with browning too and replaced my pan, not sure if that will help you but it worked for me.  Went to my local TJMaxx and found All Clad hard anodized for a very reasonable price, really am happy with it!

Honored Contributor

I have seen Jacques Pepin start pieces of meat in a skillet with a tiny bit of water, put the lid on and let it steam THEN  when the water evaporates add oil and brown it quickly.  I've done this at times and found that helpful. 

Esteemed Contributor

If the chicken is going to cook in the oven, I have browned it quickly in butter, just for color!

Frequent Contributor

Have you tried them in an air fryer?  This small appliance is my go to for many things.  I even tried yesterday a grilled cheese sandwich.  I cooked both sides in a fry pan and finished up in the fryer.  It was nice and brown.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zanna   The Chinese use a technique called "velveting" which breaks down the tough fibers.  Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda on the chicken chunks or slicesand let sit for about 15 minutes.  Then you rinse the soda off and proceed with your recipe as usual.

I learned this several years back from a poster here and this absolutely works.  The Chinese have other, more elaborate, techniques that include the use of egg whites as part of the technique but I have stuck with this simple one and have always had success with it.  

Hope this helps you to have tender bourbon chicken.

Best,

aroc3435

Super Contributor

@rockygems123   Thank you!   I used a Calphalon non-stick skillet, probably not the best for browning.  I also tried cast iron, which worked well for whole chicken breasts pounded into more consistent thickness and then browned in a very hot pan.  The weight of the pan and that fiery hot handle makes that method a little more challenging than I would like.  I'm going to look for an all-clad pan.  Great suggestion!

Super Contributor

@Sooner   Wow, that's a simple solution!  I will give it a go.  Thanks so much!

Super Contributor

@Zhills   Great for deliciousness and color but I'm trying to avoid using my oven these days.  I live in Dallas and recent temps have ranged between 95-101; 93 on a "cool day".  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@squeaks   Thanks, I was planning on experimenting with my new air fryer.  I've had a Paula Deen air fryer for several years and just upgraded to a 7 qt. GoWise, based on America's Test Kitchen recommendation.  I'm going to order the set of accessory pieces and see what I can do.  It's quite a bit more efficient than the older one.  I've only cooked frozen breaded shrimp and toast in it so far.  Toasted cheese and tomato on whole wheat is my fabsolute favorite! 

Super Contributor

@aroc3435   I will totally try the baking soda method!  I bet that's how Bourbon Chicken is made in commercial kitchens!   Thank you so much!