Super Contributor

Advice, please re "golden brown"

For some reason, I am unable to pan fry bite-size pieces of boneless chicken breast to "golden brown" without over-cooking them.  It's stupid, I know, and I've been cooking for 60 years!!   I'm following a recipe for Bourbon Chicken with Broccoli that calls for pan frying the bite-size chicken pieces in coconut oil.  The sauce is so delicious, but the chicken pieces are always tough.  Anyone have any tips?

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice, please re "golden brown"

Boil the chicken breast first should help tenderize.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Pound the chicken, it will break up the tough fibers, it really does make a difference

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Cook the pieces for less time until they are lightly browned. It will still be good.  Or cook the whole piece of breast first, then cut into bite size pieces.  

Honored Contributor

@zanna , Google using baking soda as a meat tenderizer.  Soaking in a baking soda and water solution changes the chemistry of the meat. Google to find out amounts for your particular cut of meat, good luck.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'm cooking pieces of chicken  - Fajita - w/veggies for dinner.  I sear chicken like I do a steak - turn heat up and sear the outside to golden and then back off heat to Medium for cooking through-out.  Remove meat when done - over cooking will make it dry and tough.

Good Luck

Butter adds that golden touch - some oil - some butter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

I'm cooking pieces of chicken  - Fajita - w/veggies for dinner.  I sear chicken like I do a steak - turn heat up and sear the outside to golden and then back off heat to Medium for cooking through-out.  Remove meat when done - over cooking will make it dry and tough.

Good Luck

Butter adds that golden touch - some oil - some butter.

I agree, you need to start with the pan and the oil hot.  If you go to a Japanese restaurant and they cook right in front of you, you will see they get the pan or the grill, along with the oil, really hot.

Honored Contributor

I agree with 'turn down the heat'.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zanna 

We are making Bourbon Chicken tonight. We found the chicken breasts get dry if you try to brown it first. The chicken breast is done before you even put it in the sauce. We skip that step.

We also started using chicken thighs since I'm pretty sure that's what they use in the Mall. 

Sometimes I use half thigh half chicken breast meat.

I don't know why the recipe says to brown the chicken. All the bourbon chicken I have ate the chicken is not browned but in the sauce it comes with.

Mix all ingredients in large bowl, add chicken. I usually leave it in refrigerator til ready to cook.

Bring to boil in skillet, reduce heat to medium to simmer about 20 mins. We serve with rice. YUM!!!

Regular Contributor

I find that if I dredge the pieces with flour it browns in a better fashion. Also try using half butter and half oil to saute in.