Super Contributor

Re: Advice please - artisan bread in a Dutch oven?

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@chi5925

Thanks for the great tip about using the parchment to place the dough into the hot pan.  I'll try that next time, because as you know, the dough is quite wiggly and the pan is scorching hot.

I heated the Dutch oven and the lid, separately in the oven for 30 minutes.  The bread turned out beautifully, but it took me 30 minutes of scrubbing to get all the little black specks off my Le Creuset when I was done.  As much as I like the bread, I'm leery about using my expensive vessel this way again.  I'm wondering why it developed all those black burned specks all over the outside of the pot and lid.

Any ideas?

In any case - we enjoyed the bread and it is a super easy recipe. I prepped the dough before work this morning and baked it at dinner time.

artisan bread 1 - 2016.jpgartisan bread 2 - 2016.jpg 

Yum, yum, yum, YUM!!!!!!!  Looks fabulous!  I have made similar loaves, using a recipe by Laura Calder from the Cooking Channel Network.  As others have said, I heat up my (stoneware) Dutch oven vessel AND lid.  Never had any problems.  Our oven is convection, but I think I always do the regular baking cycle.  By the way, I wish I could offer ideas on why you got the black specks on your Dutch oven.  Sorry!  :-(  I don't have a LC one, just a nice stoneware one that has worked well for me.

Honored Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo

I have a theory about the black spots.  My Dutch oven sits on the stovetop all the time, because I don't have any other place to put it.  I use it frequently and wash it frequently, but it does get splattered when I'm cooking in other vessels nearby.  I think that those splatters, even though they aren't noticeable at first glance, are what burned and caused the specks.  I managed to get it cleaned off, using my Scrub Daddy and Bar Keeper's Friend.  Next time I heat it at such a high temp I will make sure the LC is spotless first.

~ house cat ~

My husband loves crusty bread with homemade soups.  I've done this by heating my cast iron cookware, dry, in a very hot oven as you indicated.  No problems to the cookware. 

I'm looking for 2 things - a smaller recipe I can use in my new 2 3/4 Le Creuset pan I finally received today from QVC.  My recipes are large and I don't like cutting bread recipes down.  I'm also looking for a crusty whole wheat or high grain bread recipe.  Thanks,

Honored Contributor

@Bettyput wrote:

My husband loves crusty bread with homemade soups.  I've done this by heating my cast iron cookware, dry, in a very hot oven as you indicated.  No problems to the cookware. 

I'm looking for 2 things - a smaller recipe I can use in my new 2 3/4 Le Creuset pan I finally received today from QVC.  My recipes are large and I don't like cutting bread recipes down.  I'm also looking for a crusty whole wheat or high grain bread recipe.  Thanks,

What you can do is make a full batch of dough, but cut the dough in half and put half into a Ziploc bag in your fridge for a day or two while you bake the first half. The cold temps in the fridge will retard the action of the yeast and let the dough be held for a day or two. You could even try freezing part of the raw dough to save it for later. Bread machine recipes might be a good source for you also. Many bread machines make smaller batches that might be more suitable for your new pan.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Hi, would you be willing to share your bread recipe and pot you used, thanks.

Honored Contributor

Is this No-Knead Bread?  The NY Times ran the recipe with a video a few years ago.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Honored Contributor

@gardenman& @Bettyput - the dough from this particular recipe is really too wet and sticky to put in a zip lock bag for another day.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gardenman& @Bettyput - the dough from this particular recipe is really too wet and sticky to put in a zip lock bag for another day.

Oddly enough, one of the ways to handle really wet and sticky doughs (called high hydration doughs) is with wet hands and a wet board. Wetting the inside of the bag before adding the dough, or spraying it liberally with a cooking spray, should make it possible to get the dough back out of the bag without a lot of trouble. There are multiple videos on YouTube showing working with high hydration doughs where the dough is more of a batter than a dough until worked with wet hands on a wet board (and no additional flour) and it eventually forms into a more dough-like mass. With a no knead recipe you just need to maintain the dough without letting it dry out in the fridge until you're ready to put it in the pan for rising/baking. A Ziploc bag is cheap and easy, but a small bowl covered securely with plastic wrap would also work.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Wow! I'm not sure how this two year old thread came back to life, but I'm glad it did. I haven't made the bread since then, and I figure it's about time.

I think this is the recipe I used. I hope it's readable, because I don't have time to retype it right now.

IMG_6786.JPG

~ house cat ~