Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on adding egg to a recipe

@Wobin wrote:

I want to adapt a recipe for a Potato, Chicken & Bacon Casserole  and would like to reduce the milk and cream and add egg to make it fluffier and higher protein.  Can anyone advise?  I've included the ingredient list which seems like too much milk and cream.  

4 oz bacon, diced

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breats, diced

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 leek, trimmed halved and sliced (about 1.5 cups)

2 3/4 cups milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 sprig rosemary

1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes

6 oz shredded Fontina cheese 

2 T cornstarch

2 T cold water

@Wobin ,

This sounds very good! I tried googling it but couldn't find it. If possible, can you please post the whole recipe? TIA

Valued Contributor

@Wobin ,

This sounds very good! I tried googling it but couldn't find it. If possible, can you please post the whole recipe? TIA

Sure, I will do that tomorrow.  I tore it out of a magazine.  It was very good but boy I dirtied so many dishes in the process.  Our rule is "She who cooks doesn't clean up" but I cleaned a few as I could and warned Mr. Wonderful he might want to start dishes while it was in the oven.  He thought it tasted great. 

Valued Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@Wobin , 

Glad my thoughts were helpful.

I'm obviously a Dr. Who fan and the River Song storyline is my favorite so far.  Spoilers!

My husband and I are big fans.  We were in London 5 years ago and I surprised him with a stop at Earl's Court tube station where there is a police box outside.  There aren't many left in London.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@River Song 

Here it is from Mary Jane's Farm Magazine Feb-Mar 2017

4 oz bacon, diced

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breats, diced

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 leek, trimmed halved and sliced (about 1.5 cups)

2 3/4 cups milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 sprig rosemary

1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes

6 oz shredded Fontina cheese 

2 T cornstarch

2 T cold water

1.  In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.  Remove bacon from skillet and drain all but 2 teaspoons of bacon drippings from the pan.  Add chicken, ¼ t salt, and pepper to skillet.  Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through.  Remove from heat.  Add chicken, bacon and leek to a medium bowl, toss to combine and set aside.
  2. 2.  In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, cream, rosemary and remaining 1 t salt to a simmer.
  3. 3.  While mile mixture is cooking, slice potatoes in 1/8 inch thick slices using a mandolin slicer.  Add potatoes to milk mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are tender-crisp.
  4. 4.  Place a colander over a large bowl and drain milk mixture from potatoes.  Remove rosemary sprig from potatoes and discard.
  5. Preheat oven to 400F.  Butter a 4-quart, oven-safe, deep skillet or found casserole dish.
  6. Add about ¼ of the chicken mixture to the bottom of the prepared dish.  Top with a single layer of potatoes and 1/3 cup fontina cheese.  Add another ¼ of the chicken mixture, another layer of potatoes and 1/3 cup fontina cheese.  Add another ¼ of the chicken mixture, another layer of potatoes and 1/3 cup fontina cheese. For the final layer, use remaining chicken mixture, another single layer of potatoes and remaining ½ cup fontina cheese.
  7. Add strained milk misture to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.  In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water together.  Pour into milk mixture and continue to cook over medium-low heat until thickened.  Pour milk sauce over top of casserole.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Valued Contributor

@Wobin ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the recipe. It was very kind of you.  I look forward to trying it. I apologize for not responding sooner.  With age my memory has gotten very bad.  I post a question, and then totally forget that I posted it until the next time I happen to look at the forum. 

Valued Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Wobin ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the recipe. It was very kind of you.  I look forward to trying it. I apologize for not responding sooner.  With age my memory has gotten very bad.  I post a question, and then totally forget that I posted it until the next time I happen to look at the forum. 

I'm right there with you @CaliKat   Smiley Very Happy