Honored Contributor

I got some stew beef yesterday and decided to try to make sweet and sour beef.  I got a few recipes online.  I had some of the ingredients for each recipe - but not all for any one recipe.  So I decided to ad lib and use what I had and see what happens.

Red and green peppers, beef, crushed pineapple. soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, salt, pepper, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar and a couple of other spices I can't recall at the moment. 

Put everything in slow cooker on high for about 4/5 hours and then added some water/cornstarch to thicken broth.  Nuked some rice (microwave rice cooker.)

Proud to say to worked out really well.  Next time, though, I'll use apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar.  The rice wine vinegar isn't strong enough ... that's all I had yesterday.  And ... more soy sauce ... but that's easy enough to add at the plate.

Honored Contributor

Re: (Ad Lib) Sweet & Sour Beef

This does sound tasty.  I would try some white vinegar and maybe a ketchup/sweet barbecue sauce mixture.  I would replace the pineapple with pieces of onion (just a personal preference), and might add some dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce for tang.

Honored Contributor

Re: (Ad Lib) Sweet & Sour Beef

@ALRATIBA I love sweet and sour.  He doesn't.  Garrett.  I think the next time we order oriental, I'll definitely have that!Smiley Happy