Respected Contributor

? About making chicken salad, mayo amount.

A friend is helping to make chicken salad for a function.. She sent me the following. Recipe everyone uses is 4 qts of chicken meat to 1 qt of mayo. She needs 4 times that, so 16 qts of chicken and 1 gallon of mayo. Last year, they gave her 2 gallons of mayo to use and it was dry. Each batch of chicken salad has to be the same. So how much mayo would you use for 16 qts of chicken meat. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ? About making chicken salad, mayo amount.

@Barbarainnc 

2 cups = 1 pint

2 pints = 1 quart

4 quarts = 1 gallon

Respected Contributor

can you buy extra mayo, and use as needed?  is someone else making it, and has to have a exact recipe to follow?

I think if your salad recipe has other ingredient's in it, such as pasta or its refrigerated overnight, many times the other ingredient's "absorb" the moistness from the mayo. 

When i prepare things like this, i always retaste after it's  been in the fridge overnight.  Nothing worse than dry chicken salad. The following morning, if it need a little more moistness, i usually add in sour cream instead of more mayo. Cuts the fat some, and adds extra creaminess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc

My brains not working today. LOL!!! I have been so stressed out I cannot think straight.

I know DH makes it using 1 cup chicken to 1/4 cup miracle whip since he does not like mayo.

On What's Cooking USDA Mixing Bowl site it shows for 25 servings it uses 2 quarts plus 2 cups chicken it uses 13 oz mayo or salad dressing.

The 50 servings recipe uses 1 gallon 1 quart of chicken (which would be 5 quarts) with 3 1/4 cups mayo or salad dressing.

Hope this helps. LOL!!!

If you want to check out that site Google what's cooking usda mixing bowl chicken or turkey salad to find it. 

Honored Contributor

When I make chicken, tuna, egg salad I go by sight, never have measured for it.  Add small amounts until I get it right by taste and sight.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

2 gallons should be enough

Chicken salad is not supposed to be sloppy wet with mayo

But if made ahead of time, when served it can be a bit dry because the chicken absorbs the mayo.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Imaoldhippie, just keep adding till it has reached the consistency you want it, you don't want it dry or too much mayo!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

I agree with @Imaoldhippie, just keep adding till it has reached the consistency you want it, you don't want it dry or too much mayo!

@Hooty @Imaoldhippie

That's what I do if I'm making it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there's a science to it.  I go by taste/feel/look  because how much mayo you use depends on all the other ingredients.  If I thought I needed 3 qts of mayo, I'd have 4 qts available.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz, I love your owl picture!Heart