Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@house_cat 

Good to know.you!  Thanks.  So I could probably just buy a tube of prepared polenta and slice/saute it the same way as you mom did with her leftover, huh?

@vabreeze 

I think that would work great. She made hers from scratch and it was a much softer consistency than the one in the tube - that's why it lent itself better to slicing after a couple of days in the fridge. I think the one in the tube would be good to go.

NEXT INGREDIENT -- TOMATOES, fresh or canned

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Southern Fried Green Tomatoes

C8B8A816-EBD9-4E8E-994E-44B6A71B0013.jpeg

Easy, crispy fried green tomatoes, made with buttermilk and cornmeal ~ serve with rémoulade sauce.

Course Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine American/Southern
Keyword fried green tomatoes, easy fried green tomatoes, southern fried green tomatoes

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes

Servings 8
Calories 278kcal
Author Kelly ~ the hungry bluebird
Ingredients
  • 4 green tomatoes, ends removed, sliced ¼-inch thick
  • 1 cup cornmeal, medium grind, preferably stone ground
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne
  • cups buttermilk
  • A few shakes of hot sauce
  • ½-1 cup vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
  • 1 tablespoon butter (or bacon drippings)
  • Kosher salt
  • Lemon wedges, hot sauce and/or rémoulade sauce for serving
Rémoulade Sauce:
  • 1 cup good quality mayonnaise (the southern choice would be Duke's)
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
  • 2 teaspoons creole mustard, whole-grain mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons capers, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Instructions
  • If serving, make rémoulade sauce.  Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl until well-combined and smooth.  Let sit for one hour so flavors meld while you prepare the tomatoes. (Cover and refrigerate any leftover sauce.)
  • Pre-heat oven to 200º and fit a sheet pan with wire rack, set aside.
  • In a wide bowl or pie plate, combine flour, cornmeal and seasonings.  In another small bowl, combine buttermilk with a few shakes of hot sauce and a little salt and pepper.  Dip green tomato slice in buttermilk mixture, shake off excess, then dredge in cornmeal-flour mixture until well-coated.  Repeat and put tomato slices on a plate.
  • Heat oil in a large cast iron pan, about a ½-inch high.  Add the butter and mix in, it gives flavor and helps with browning.  When hot, but not smoking, add tomato slices to skillet, and working in batches, fry until golden, about 3-4 minutes a side.  Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt while hot.  Transfer fried slices to sheet pan with rack and keep warm in oven while continuing to fry remaining slices.
  • Serve hot green tomatoes with lemon wedges, Louisiana hot sauce and/or rémoulade sauce.  Enjoy!
Notes
  • Green tomatoes can be hard to slice in ¼-inch slices.  If you have a mandolin, and are comfortable using one, that would be a great option for slicing.
  • Adding a little butter to the hot oil helps with browning and gives a little flavor.  Bacon drippings would also work!
  • These are best served hot and crispy, although the cornmeal helps keep that crispiness even as they cool.

I’ve been making these at least twice a week while green tomatoes are still available. 

Next Ingredient: HOT SAUCE 

Respected Contributor

Hot Wings (Buffalo Wings)

I usually cook 30-40 wings with wing tips cut off (you can choose to cut the wings in half at this point but I don't) on two large baking sheets (jelly roll pans), 1 cup RED HOT SAUCE (I use Frank's), 11/2 -2 tbsp vinegar, 3 1/2 -4 tbsp butter, melted.

Preheat oven to 400. Wash and dry the wings. Place the wings on the pans and cook for 20 minutes. Pour off the grease, turn and cook another 20 minutes. Then put the wings in a large bowl with the RED HOT SAUCE, vinegar and the butter. I tried adding smoked paprika at this point but I didn't like it. Marinate the wings for at least 3-4 hrs. I usually let them marinate overnight. Preheat the oven to 400 and put the wings, once again on 2 baking sheets and cook for 10 minutes. Once again, try to pour off as much grease as possible. At this point, that's very important. Turn them and cook another ten minutes. Then put them under the broiler and broil each side 5 minutes.

I must say, these are a pain in the a.. to make but soooo worth it. We like them better than fried and so much healthier.

TIP:  I make these on 2 huge Tin Foil Pans. I don't cook with tin foil but for this recipe, I find them irreplaceable.

I serve them with Bleu Cheese Dressing, Ranch Dressing or a mix of BBQ Sauce and Ranch Dressing.

NEXT INGREDIENT: KASHA (BUCKWHEAT)

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Trusted Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

A Russian coworker/friend served this at one of our work luncheons and shared with me her recipe. I have included my personal taste preferencess. One day, I am going to experiment with morphing the gravy into a soup with the kasha, meatballs or chicken, and other veggies.

Mushroom Gravy and Buckwheat/Kasha
1 cup uncooked buckwheat
3 TBS olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely grated

1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
1- 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
1-1/2 cups milk (any kind)
4 TBS butter
3- 1/2 TBS all-purpose flour
Salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste

Instructions
Cook buckwheat (I use the already toasted buckwheat which I buy at my neighborhood Eastern European market):
Rinse and drain 1 cup buckwheat well. In a saucepan, stir in buckwheat, 1- 3/4 cups water (I prefer to use a broth like chix or mushroom in recipes), 1 TBS butter and salt to your taste (I omit).

Make gravy:
Saute in a saucepan w/olive oil the onion and carrot until soft and golden, stirring often, over medium heat. Then add mushrooms (I use shiitake or button) and saute until they are soft, stirring often.

Up the heat to medium HIGH and add chicken broth and milk; bring to a light boil. Salt and pepper to taste and stir till dissolved (I also add garlic powder).

In a separate small pan or skillet, melt butter and stir in flour. Whisk it into the veggie/broth mixture, adding more or less of the flour mixture depending on how thick you want the gravy. It will still thicken as it cools but can be thinned to your preference with additional heated broth, water or milk. (I incorporate a tablespoon or so of sour cream).

Serve this gravy over the cooked buckwheat (kasha).

NEXT INGREDIENT-- Dill, fresh or dried

Honored Contributor

This is good in pitas, wraps, naan bread, croissants, or a bed of lettuce if you’re watching carbs!

795177DD-9D6E-46C4-921C-7CF25604A5A9.jpeg

Cucumber Dill Rotisserie Chicken Salad
  • Author: Julie (PB Fingers)
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: 8 -1/2 cup servings
  • Category: lunch, recipes

Description

This recipe for lightened-up Cucumber Dill Greek Yogurt Rotisserie Chicken Salad comes together in less than 10 minutes and tastes like summer in a bowl thanks to crisp cucumber and flavorful herbs. Made with Greek yogurt, it’s a protein-packed salad that will fill you up without making you feel weighed down!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped and chilled
  • 2/3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon (dried) dill
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
    1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and stir until completely combined.

1. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Next Ingredient: SUNFLOWER SEEDS

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

Wow, @GenXmuse, your Turmeric & Ginger Chicken Thighs  recipe looks so scrumptious!  And thighs are what I prefer over breasts.  I look forward to preparing this as soon as I go through some leftovers-- your Oktoberfest Stew also.  Glad the weather is beginning to cool. 

There have been some really great recipes posted this month.  So appreciative of posters' sharing.  I have saved quite a number of them.

NEXT INGREDIENT -- TOMATOES, fresh or canned

I’m so glad!! I hope you enjoy the dishes when you get a chance to try them out! 💗

Honored Contributor

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... Sunflower Seeds

Trusted Contributor

Sunflower Seed Dip
Source: Becky Striepe, glueandglitter

This is an easy and healthy vegan dip.

Prep Time 20 min.    Chilling Time 30 min+

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes, then drained
Juice from1-2 lemons to make 1/4 cup lemon juice 
1/2 cup fresh water (NOT the seeds-soaked water)
1 TBS olive oil, optional but recommended
1/4 tsp celery salt
2 TBS dried dill or more, to taste
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sriracha sauce
1 TBS soy sauce
1/2 cup coarsely chopped bell peppers, any color-- chopping helps it blend up smoothly
1 chopped plum tomato, for garnish

Instructions
Put all of the ingredients EXCEPT the tomato into your blender (high speed blender works best) and puree until as smooth as possible. This is going to take a while, and if you're using a regular blender, you’ll need to stop to scrape down the sides of your blender and give the mixture a stir several times as you’re blending. Just be patient, and keep on blending until the dip reaches the creaminess that you’re looking for.

Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Garnish with the chopped tomato just before serving with crackers and/or veggies.

Next ingredient -- Bottled salad dressing

Esteemed Contributor

Crock pot chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breasts. ( It’s just me and DH so we use one in small crock pot. You could put in more in bigger crock)

Bottled Italian Dressing ( I use Kraft Light Zesty Italian)

Put breasts in crock pot squirt the dressing on top. I just guess, not to much just enough to coat. Cover cook on low 8 hours or until breasts are done. Serve with veggies and potatoes yummy. 

Next Ingredient  RED BELL PEPPERS 

Frequent Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Baked Ziti

1/2 Red Bell Pepper

1/2 Green Bell Pepper

One large  onion, chopped fine

1/4 Cup olive oil

1 clove garlic minced

Saut'e the above ingredients until just tender.

Cook an 8 ounce package if Ziti according to package directions.

Drain and toss with the above mixture.

Add 1 cup small curd Cottage Cheese. 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese and your favorite spaghetti sauce.   Mix well.

Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese and Bake at 350 until cheese has melted and is bubbly.  We like serving this with a baguette of garlic bread, salad and our favorite red wine.... Meritage by Kevin O'Leary.

Next ingredient:  Yeast