Honored Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

@momtochloe Hi. How are you! I haven't seen you post much recently. Just checking in to see how you are doing! Take care, stay well and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Hi @Coquille, I am doing well my friend.  Thank you for asking after me but I have been a very bad girl and have totally fallen off the cooking wagon but hopefully will become reinspired in the fall.  Hope you are enjoying the rest of the summer too and looking forward to reading and sharing recipes in the very near future . . . Cooking Dinner animated emoticon

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloeHappy to know you are doing well.  Wishing you the best.

Next ingredient:  Le Sueur baby green peas

Honored Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2018 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

LeSueur Sour Cream Pea Casserole

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 3 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) Le Sueur® Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
  • 1/2 cup finely crushed buttery crackers

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole with shortening or cooking spray.
  2. In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook green onions in butter 1 minute. Stir in flour and seasoned salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Add peas, celery and bacon, stirring gently. Spoon mixture into casserole. Sprinkle with crushed crackers.
  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is hot and edges are bubbly.

eta:  I have also made this with ham which is also very good.

Next Ingredient:  Cauliflower

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

SNICKER!  Oh you rascal you!!  LOL

Next Ingredient:

Cauliflower

Esteemed Contributor

Cauliflower Pickles

quart jar                 large jar
1 1/2        3 quarts cold water
1 cl           5 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 in       1 1-inch-thick slice fresh ginger
1 lb          3-1/2 lbs fresh cauliflower, cut into florets
2/3 C       1-3/4 cups sugar
2/3  C      1-3/4 cups Chinese white distilled vinegar
2 C           5-1/2 cups cold water
1 ½  tsp    4 teaspoons salt

1. In a large pot, bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil with the garlic and ginger. Add the cauliflower and blanch for 30 to 45 seconds. Do not overcook. Remove from the heat and run cold water into the pot. Drain. Fill the pot with cold water and let the cauliflower rest in cold water for 15 minutes, then drain.
  2. In a glass jar, place the sugar, vinegar, (2) 5-1/2 cups water, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon to ensure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Add the cauliflower, garlic, and ginger. Cover the jar. (A jar with a plastic screw top is preferred, if unavailable, place a piece of plastic wrap over the top before closing.)
  3. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Serve cold. The cauliflower pickles will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 6 months.

Next ingredient:  Tomato sauce

Respected Contributor

Chicken, Potatoes, Onions and TOMATO SAUCE

As usual,this is a very old recipe and I never had measurements. I threw it together one day but I'm sure whatever you use, it will be fine.

2 chickens, cut in eighths, 3-4 large onions, 2 regular size cans of TOMATO SAUCE, ketchup, sugar, garlic and onion powder, salt, potatoes.

On the bottom of a large casserole or Dutch Oven pan ( long oval or oblong pan) place 3-4 sliced large onions, the add 1 can of TOMATO SAUCE mixed with a little ketchup, water, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and a touch of salt. I use low sodium TOMATO SAUCE and don't miss the salt. Add the  2 cut up chickens and place on top of the onions. Put chunks of potatoes over  and in between the chicken. Pour another can of TOMATO SAUCE mixed with a little ketchup, water, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and a touch of salt. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours. Keep checking to make sure it does not boil out.

I've also made this recipe with brown rice instead of potatoes  but again, I do not have a measurement. I just put some in. I may try to make this with Quinoa. We're cutting down on brown rice and white potatoes.

Next Ingredient: QUINOA 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Re: AUGUST 2018 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Cauliflower, Tomato and Chicken Sausage Quinoa Gratin

• 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
  • 6 roma tomatoes, sliced into half rounds
  • 12 oz organic chicken sausage (pre-cooked or raw), sliced into half rounds (use gluten free for GF version)
  • 12 oz boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubed
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup basil, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper

For the Topping:

• 3/4 cup quinoa, dry
  • 1 + 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
  • 1/4 cup basil, minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, add cauliflower, tomatoes, sausage, chicken, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Mix to combine, pour into 9 x 13 baking dish and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
  2. In the meanwhile, combine water and quinoa in a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, fluff with a fork and transfer to a medium bowl. Add remaining Topping ingredients, mix and sprinkle on top of casserole. I pushed the quinoa topping inside the casserole a bit using a butter knife. Return to the oven, bake for another 10 minutes and then broil for 5 more minutes or until golden. Serve hot.

Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.

Servings Per Recipe: 8   Per Serving = 1.5 cups:Calories: 299.6  Total Fat: 14.2 g Cholesterol: 65.7 mg
Sodium: 831.2 mg  Total Carbs: 19.9 g   Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g   Protein: 24.0 g   WW Points+: 7

NEXT INGREDIENT:  RED PEPPERS

Honored Contributor

1p.jpg

2p.jpg

3p.jpg

4p.jpg

5p.jpg

I found this while looking for a red pepper recipe.  My mom used to sit in front of the broiler to roast them, which looked pretty awful, so I've never done it.  
I thought I'd share.

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 red bell peppers
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - the oil is only needed if you are storing the roasted peppers and not using them in a recipe right away

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Wash the peppers and then cut them in half lengthwise.
  3. Cut off the stem with a paring knife and scoop out all the seeds and membranes. I used a melon baller to scoop out the seeds and membranes.
  4. Place the peppers cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
  5. Roast the peppers in the pre-heated 450 degree oven for about 25 minutes; or until the skins are completely wrinkled and the peppers are charred, rotating the sheet if necessary for them to cook evenly.
  6. Let the peppers cool for a minute or two, and then remove them from the baking sheet and place them in a bowl.
  7. Cover the bowl with foil or a plate, and let cool for about 30 minutes.
  8. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and discard them, dropping the peppers back into the bowl.
  9. If you're using the peppers up right away or later that night then you can just refrigerate them in a glass container with a lid till later that day.
  10. If you're making them ahead to use throughout the week, then put the peppers along with their juices into a glass container, pour the olive oil over the peppers, cover and refrigerate. The peppers should last for a week to two weeks. 

Since this isn't really a recipe, I'm going to continue with @RespectLife 's request.

Next ingredient: red peppers

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Sweet Potato Salad with RED PEPPER

( I have made these potatoes and onions a lot before but not the dressing or the rest of the recipe. I will this week). This is Mark Bitman's recipe.

Peel and cube into 1" pieces, 2-3 sweet potatoes, 1 red onion, cut in 1" pieces, toss together, I add a little evoo and then spread on a baking sheet and cook for about 40 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking make the dressing in a processor.

A couple of tbsp of olive oil, 1 clove garlic, 1 jalapeño seeded, if preferred, juice from a couple of limes, salt and pepper to taste and process. 

Pour dressing over potatoes and onions. Add a healthy dose of cilantro, some cooked or canned black beans, diced into somewhat small pieces of RED PEPPERS and mix. Adjust to taste.

He doesn't  give measurements. This is the first time I am posting a recipe that's not mine. It looks good and healthy to me!

Next Ingredient: CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

No-Bake Chocolate Oat Bars

Makes 16 to 20 bars

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter
  • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • ¾ cup chunky peanut butter

Directions

1. Line a 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, and set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Heat over low-heat, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
  3. Add the oats, cinnamon and kosher salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes.
  4. Pour half of the oat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread out the mixture evenly, pressing down.
  5. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and the peanut butter. Heat on high in the microwave, in increments of 40 seconds, stirring in between each increment, until melted and fully combined.
  6. Pour ⅘ of the chocolate mixture into the pan over the pressed oats, reserving about ¼ cup for drizzling. Top with the remaining oats and drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate mixture.
  7. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until set.

Next ingredient:  Bacon