Honored Contributor

ARE WE HAVING A BAY LEAF SHORTAGE?

[ Edited ]

I know how ridiculous this sounds, but I'm serious. 

It's pretty common for those that do a lot of holiday cooking and baking might tend to stock up on spices and other ingredients.   There could be a run at the market on the seasonal ingredients.  Makes sense. 

However .... today I have now stopped at SIX stores in the past week with a good range of spices and whatnot .... and NONE of them had bay leaves.    Okay, I can imagine being out of poultry seasoning or pumpkin pie spice .... but bay leaves?

Well, fellow cooks .... please be advised  .....  and check your own bay leaf inventory tonight.   You've been warned!   lol     Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: ARE WE HAVING A BAY LEAF SHORTAGE?

The leaves are common but they may have trouble finding people to pick and process them.  Maybe transportation too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I couldn't find  them at stores too. I just bought 3 jars on Amazon.  2.49 a jar really nice and green. Used them for Thanksgiving. 

Trusted Contributor

I told earlier this year about the celery seed that I couldn't find.  When I finally did find some at Walmart, I used some and knew it was not celery seed.  Turns out it was lovage.   Tasted nothing like celery seed.

Two weeks before Thanksgiving, I wasn't finding poultry seasoning anywhere.  My third store, I did find some, on a different shelf with the label turned inward.  There were a few shakers tucked back there, but not near enough for everyone who was no doubt on a hunt for it!  

Esteemed Contributor

yes...i use bay leaves when a recipe calls for them.....but i have no clue what purpose they serve....have no idea what a bay leaf tastes like!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

Penzey's has some. $3.69 for 1/2 oz bag, $5.95 for 1 oz bag or $11.95 for 4 oz bag. Glad I have some on hand.

Penzey's has free shipping on $24.95 ends tomorrow 11-30-21.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

yes...i use bay leaves when a recipe calls for them.....but i have no clue what purpose they serve....have no idea what a bay leaf tastes like!

It's a seasoning like parsley, basil, etc.  But if you use whole leaf it should be removed when your dish is all cooked.

Trusted Contributor

For me, a savory flavor that  is slightly robust. I mainly use it in when cooking foods that are from the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. I also use it with Creole or Cajun cooking. Its also used in Mediterranean and French cooking.  I combine it with cumin a lot.  I also use it for various chicken, beef roasts and stews, gumbo, jambalaya, etc.  Definitely remove the bay leaf after food is cooked; biting into it is not that pleasant. I try not to use more than two leaves.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker  I make my own poultry seasoning from processing 4 tsp dried rosemary, 3 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tbsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried sage, and 1/2 tsp ground ginger in a coffee grinder that I only use for spices.  I find it to be very economical.

Honored Contributor

I broke my jar of bay leaves today. 🙁