The RATIO for Gravy is 2,2,1. 

For 1 cup gravy:

2 Tablespoons oil

2 Tablespoons plain flour

1 cup liquid

s&p to taste

Make sure ALL flour has some oil in it. 

Dry flour = lumps!

When all flour is 'wet', slowly pour liquid and cook over med, low heat, while whisking, until thickened.  About 5 minutes on low.

I use:  4 Tablespoons (1/4 C) oil and 1/4 C flour to 2 cups liquid.  Makes 2 cups gravy.

For sausage gravy, brown meat, add oil to pan if needed to make amount of oil you need, stir in flour and I like to use 1 small 5oz can of evaporated milk and add enough water to make 2 cups.

For pork or chicken gravy, add chicken broth.

For creamy gravy, use the milk combo without meat.

You can use any combination of OIL and any broth or liquid and it will work. SR flour will also, just don't add salt until tasting!

Just use 2,2,1 (s&p) for each cup of gravy.

Good over anything! 

Next ingredient:  Cracker or bread crumbs

Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2021 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Baked Stuffed Shrimp

Featured Ingredient:  Cracker Crumbs

1 cup mushrooms, chopped finely

3 Tablespoons minced onions

2 Tablespoons minced celery

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1 stick melted, unsalted butter, divided

1/2 pound lump crab meat

32 Ritz crackers, crushed

pinch of white pepper

1/2  cup shrimp, seafood or chicken stock

18 jumbo shrimp, deveine

Paprika

Saute vegetables in 3 Tbsps  butter.  When that mixture is dry  add crabmeat and cook for two minutes.  Add your choice of stock,  white pepper,  and  crushed cracker crumbs and take the skillet off the heat.

Butterfly raw, shelled, deveined shrimp, leaving tails attached, cutting through almost completely.  Mound about two Tbsps of the stuffing on each shrimp and drizzle with the remaining butter which you have melted.  Dust paprika on top.

Place shrimp, stuffed side up, in a buttered baking dish and place in a preheated 375 degree oven for about twenty minutes.

Garnish with fresh, minced parsley and offer fresh lemon wedges with each serving.

Notes:  You can use a quarter  cup of white wine in place of a quarter cup of your preferred choice of stock.  

You can add a dash of garlic powder--NOT garlic salt--and a pinch of dried oregano or thyme and some crushed red pepper flakes to the stuffing mixture to make an Italian version of this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  CARAWAY SEEDS or TARRAGON 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

Baked Stuffed Shrimp

Featured Ingredient:  Cracker Crumbs

1 cup mushrooms, chopped finely

3 Tablespoons minced onions

2 Tablespoons minced celery

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1 stick melted, unsalted butter, divided

1/2 pound lump crab meat

32 Ritz crackers, crushed

pinch of white pepper

1/2  cup shrimp, seafood or chicken stock

18 jumbo shrimp, deveine

Paprika

Saute vegetables in 3 Tbsps  butter.  When that mixture is dry  add crabmeat and cook for two minutes.  Add your choice of stock,  white pepper,  and  crushed cracker crumbs and take the skillet off the heat.

Butterfly raw, shelled, deveined shrimp, leaving tails attached, cutting through almost completely.  Mound about two Tbsps of the stuffing on each shrimp and drizzle with the remaining butter which you have melted.  Dust paprika on top.

Place shrimp, stuffed side up, in a buttered baking dish and place in a preheated 375 degree oven for about twenty minutes.

Garnish with fresh, minced parsley and offer fresh lemon wedges with each serving.

Notes:  You can use a quarter  cup of white wine in place of a quarter cup of your preferred choice of stock.  

You can add a dash of garlic powder--NOT garlic salt--and a pinch of dried oregano or thyme and some crushed red pepper flakes to the stuffing mixture to make an Italian version of this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435   Definitely will make this!  A big thanks for posting this recipe!!!!

Honored Contributor

Wonderful recipes as usual, my foodie friends! I'm always so excited when this thread is updated! Y'all give me so many wonderful ideas that I still use today! Many thanks to all!

Easy Tomato Salad with Tarragon Pesto
tomato tarragon salad topped with pine nuts on a platter

This salad has bright, juicy tomatoes, marinated in olive oil and topped with a basil tarragon pesto and toasted pine nuts.

PREP TIME30 minutes
COOK TIME5 minutes
TOTAL TIME35 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 pound mix heirloom tomatoes, sliced 
  • 1/4 cup & 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup fresh tarragon
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil 
  • 1/2 cup shredded pecorino 
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts

Instructions
  1. Place the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine. Let the tomatoes marinate for at least half an hour. 
  2. Combine the tarragon, basil, pecorino, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a food processor. Blitz to combine and till coarsely chopped. 
  3. Toast the pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. 
  4. Combine the tomatoes, pesto, and pine nuts on a large platter.

Next Ingredient: ALFALFA SPROUTS

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze   I think you will enjoy it.  You can also use this to stuff lobster tails,  but, of course, would need to increase the amount of stuffing.

It is my version of what can  be  found on  the menu in several Connecticut shoreline seafood restaurants.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Next Ingredient:  ALFALFA SPROUTS 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Danish Cabbage Salad with Radishes and Candied Bacon

This recipe was originally posted by Bonanajellybean who stopped posting some time ago (hope she is doing well).  I sometimes take a shortcut by using the bagged green cabbage cole slaw instead of slicing a head of cabbage; have also made BJB's dish wtih fried or roasted radishes. Very tasty!   

Serves: 4

Ingredients

½ small cabbage (about 8 oz), thinly sliced into 1 inch strips
½ cup green peas, shelled
4 large radishes, thinly sliced
2 handfuls sprouts (broccoli, kale or alfalfa will work)
4 strips bacon
2 TBS maple syrup

2 TBS coconut sugar ( I=BJB use regular sugar)
1 TBS butter
For the honey-mustard vinaigrette:
1 TBS Dijon mustard
2 small garlic cloves, finely minced or pushed through garlic press
1 tsp honey
3 TBS olive oil
¼ tsp salt
⅛ tsp pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 325° F.

Put maple syrup in one shallow bowl and coconut sugar in another.  Dip bacon into maple syrup bowl first and then coat it with the sugar.

Bake bacon on a parchment lined baking dish for around 25 minutes. Once done, let it cool and cut into lardons.

Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, add cabbage, cooking until browned around the edges, about 4-5 minutes.  Then put it in a large bowl along with bacon lardons, radishes, green peas and sprouts.

Mix all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar or small container; drizzle over the salad.  Serve immediately.

Next Ingredient- LIMONCELLO

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze my old Nic for bonanzajellybean so no wonder this looked familiar! I decided to change it to something shorter since it didn't fit on one line! Thanks for remembering me! 💗 

Next Ingredient- LIMONCELLO

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse ...what fun finding out you were Bonanzajellybean....I remember you then too!  I was always "walker" until I had to update things awhile ago.  QVC here would not let me use walker then saying ...."already in use"...YES, BY ME!!!  Ha!  So, I just added the Q to walker and it took!  I have tried going back to just walker but I keep getting same message...."already taken"...🙄.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... LIMONCELLO

Honored Contributor
@walker lol I'm so glad you remember, I figured you were the same person since the name was  about the same! QVC definitely has some quirks!

I was excited to see this ingredient since I wasn't very familiar with it other than its use in drinks so I had to do a little bit of hunting around for a food recipe but thought this sounded refreshing for a summer meal!
Yield: 8 Servings Limoncello and Herb Barbecue Chicken Thighs
Limoncello Chicken Thighs | @creativculinary

Chicken Thighs are marinated in a Limoncello, herb, and olive oil combination and then grilled making for one of the best grilled chicken dishes I've ever enjoyed!

Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time15 minutes
Additional Time4 hours
Total Time4 hours25 minutes

Ingredients For the Marinade:
  • 3 whole lemons, quartered
  • 1/2 cup limoncello
  • 1/4 ounce fresh thyme
  • 3 ounces fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 ounce fresh oregano
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive ol
  • 4 lbs boneless chicken thighs, halved

Instructions
    1. Blend all of the ingredients but chicken in a food processor and process only until roughly chopped
    2. Combine the marinade and chicken thighs and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
    3. Remove from marinade. Grill thighs on medium high heat until browned and cooked through; 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your thigh pieces

Next Ingredient: 

BAG OF BROCCOLI SLAW

Honored Contributor

What a coincidence....I just bought a bag of this today so I can fix a salad tomorrow for lunch....might be a repeat because I like it...😁.

BROCCOLI SLAW

3 cups bow-tie pasta, cook and rinse

1 pkg. BROCCOLI SLAW

1/2 cup+ dried cranberries

3 green onions, sliced

1 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon vinegar

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 cup slivered almonds 

Mix together pasta, BROCCOLI SLAW, cranberries and green onions; set aside.  Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.  Pour over pasta mixture and blend well.  Top with slivered almonds.  Refrigerate until serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BUTTER