Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Sweet Bar-B-Q Barn Spareribs Sauce

by Maria Vanelli at her She Loves Biscotti website circa Spring  2016

1  1/2 cups brown sugar (or less if you don't want a very sweet sauce)

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup catsup

1/3 cup lemon juice (I also add zest of 1 lemon)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. paprika

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced*

Whisk above and place in a small saucepan.  Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.

*PS:  I add 1/2 tsp. Colman's Dry Mustard to this before simmering for some extra zip.  

This sauce is also good on barbecued chicken or boneless 1 inch thick pork chops.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  DILL WEED, OR CELERY OR CELERY SEED

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

dll .jpg

Easy Potato Salad with Dill

From allrecipes

Ingredients

• 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 sprigs chopped fresh dill, or to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
  • 4 green onions, sliced

Directions

1. Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry while you prepare the dressing.
  2. Whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cucumber and green onions. Add the warm potatoes to the dressing and toss gently to coat with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Next ingredient:  Easter candy

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Sorry I do not have a picture for this cake.  Hope you can visualize as I describe.

Bunny Cake

Bake a two-layer white or yellow cake in 8 or 9" pans. Let cool.  Cover large baking sheet with foil.  Put one round layer in center.  Cut other layer ....two half-moon type slices with center section remaining to resemble bow-tie shape.  Place bow-tie slice beneath round layer...other two pieces for bunny ears.  Frost all in white icing.  Sprinkle coconut over all.  Tint a small amount of coconut pink for inside of ears.  Tint extra coconut green for grass around bunny cake.  Use EASTER CANDY ....like jelly beans or gumdrops as decoration on bow tie....also eyes...little slices of red licorice as whiskers and mouth.

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK 

or EVAPORATED MILK

Trusted Contributor

truffles

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1 c dried flaked coconut

1 c dried apricots choped into pieces

mixall the ingredientstogether and make sure all are covered well.  cover, place in fridge over night.  next day,  scoop ouit small balls and dip in flaked coconuit or melted chocolate.  place in paper cups and chill.

it mayseem that when you first mix this it will be sticky, but after 24 hours, the cocnut and apricots will retain the sweetened condensed milk.  i also some times add chopped nuts to the mix.

Honored Contributor

@walker : I have so many precious memories with making this cake. When I was single and invited to various Easter events- this was my to cake. Really easy to do. Plus I would bake a layer cake- use green coconut for the top and decorate with jelly beans for the eggs. I would take long pipe cleaners and cover with pastel color ribbons and insert on top of the cake to make it look like an Easter basket. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Southern Bee 2AB15E7E-C68C-4165-AEE0-A85FEC266C9B.png@walker 

Honored Contributor

Southern Bee.....thanks for pictures....I used to make this every year when my kids were young.  Glad it brought back fond memories for you too.

NEXT INGREDIENT????  shortbreadlover...your choice

Trusted Contributor

next ingredient

yeast

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walker 

@SouthernBee 

I also have fond memories of this cake.

I found this photo and then realized pictures have already been posted - well, here's another one.

easter-bunny-cake-cake-assembly-XL-BLOG0316.jpg

Next ingredient:  Yeast

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Perfect, house_cat, thanks!  Good pic!

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... YEAST