Honored Contributor

I second PA Mom-mom's comment, vickie00!  Sounds like a great recipe.  I may be trying it out soon.  Thanks!

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BACON 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

That sauce looks delicious!  I'll let you know as soon as I have a chance to give it a try.  I have a jar of capers that are reaching their expiration date.  Thank you.

@vickie25 

So simple, yet I'd never thought of it!  I saved the recipe and absolutely plan on trying it after Easter.  My DH would enjoy it for dinner, though, so I might have to change the name.  Maybe something Eastery, like "Resurrected Ham Pizzas", lol.

Next ingredient: bacon

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

1 large Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces)

1/4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt

Freshly ground pepper

3 slices bacon, chopped

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

4 tablespoons salted butter, melted

1 large egg

3/4 cup diced Irish cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)

1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. ****** the potato all over with a fork. Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, turning the potato after 2 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and grate the potato on the large holes of a box grater. Season with 2 pinches each salt and pepper and gently toss.
  2. Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel?lined plate. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
  3. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center. Whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, egg and reserved 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in a medium bowl; pour into the well in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the grated potato, bacon, cheese and chives.
  4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling them all the way to the top. Bake until the muffins are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Next ingredient:  vanilla paste

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Vanilla Ricotta Banana Toast

• 4 slices whole grain bread toasted
  • ½ cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 sliced banana 
  • ½ cup  pistachios chopped
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Add the ricotta and 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste to a food processor and blend until it’s smooth and creamy.   Stir into the honey the remaining teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
  2. Spread the ricotta on the toast, add a few banana slices and drizzle it with the honey. Sprinkle the pistachios.

next ingredient:  frozen peas

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

@Coquille 

Thank you for posting your mustard salmon recipe in last month’s (March) game.  I made it tonight and it was delicious!  I never would have thought to add balsamic vinegar to a herbed crumb mixture.  I’ll be making it again!

next ingredient:  frozen peas

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Green Pea Salad

In a saucepan, bring to a boil, then cool...

1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 Cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

When cool, mix with:

2 cups frozen green beans
2 cups frozen green peas
1 16 oz can white corn, drained
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
1 (2oz) jar of chopped pimentos, drained
1 tsp salt

Instructions:

Steam, microwave or cook green beans and peas with a small amount of water just until crisp tender; set aside to cool.
Combine the green beans, peas, corn, red onion, celery, pimentos and salt; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Drain off any accumulated liquid.

In a separate container, whisk or shake together the sugar/ vinegar mixture pour over salad, toss and return to the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Let come to room temperature.  Enjoy!

Great for pot lucks!

Next ingredient:  fish (in a salad, please)

Super Contributor

SUMMER FISH SALAD

• 1 ½ pounds meaty white fleshed FISH such as halibut
• 1 lemon
• 1 small onion, halved
• 1 bay leaf
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• ½ cup chopped ripe tomato
• ⅓ cup chopped sweet red pepper
• ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
• ¼ cup minced scallions
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
• 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

PREPARATION

1. Select a pan large enough to hold the FISH in a single layer. Place the lemon, halved and lightly juiced, in the pan along with the onion, bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Cover with water, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the FISH, bring the cooking liquid back to a simmer then reduce heat and cook the FISH very gently, so the water barely shivers, until it is just cooked through, five to eight minutes, depending on the thickness of the FISH. Drain the FISH and allow it to cool.

2. Combine the tomato, peppers, scallions and coriander in a salad bowl. When the FISH has cooled remove any skin or bones and dice it coarsely. Mix gently with the vegetables.

3. Beat the vinegar and cumin together, then beat in the olive oil. Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper and fold into the salad ingredients. Re-season if necessary, then serve.

NEXT INGREDIENT: WORCESTORSHIRE SAUCE

Honored Contributor

Easter Brunch Anyone?  My personal favorite is mimosas but here is another.....

Bloody Mary Pitcher

1 cup vodka

4 cups tomato juice

4 teaspoons lemon juice (some like lime juice)

4 teaspoons WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

2 dashes hot pepper sauce

1 teaspoon celery salt

1 teaspoon salt

Mix well and serve with celery stalk as a stirrer.

NEXT INGREDIENT ....... RED POTATOES

Esteemed Contributor

@walker  Hahaha! I immediately thought of a bloody Mary when I heard worcestershire sauce! Even though I use it in several of my go to recipes, it was the first thing I thought of. My neighbor and good friend made the best bloody Marys I've ever had.

Next ingredient: Red Potatoes

Valued Contributor

Salty Herbed Smashed Red Potatoes

Ingredients
  • 12 red potatoes
  • kosher salt
  • ground black pepper
  • olive oil
  • dried basil leaves
  • dried thyme leaves
  • dried rosemary

Instructions

1. Fill a large stock pot, halfway, with water.  Bring to boil and liberally salt water. Add red potatoes, and boil for 15 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Strain; set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Using a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil onto the sheet, and spread around.  Place your potatoes making sure they aren't too close to each other. Using a potato masher or strong fork, press down in the center to smash your potato; repeat for all potatoes.

3. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the potatoes, then brush around the entire potato (I used a basting brush). Sprinkle kosher salt, pepper, and all herbs over the tops of the potatoes. Place into oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until browned on the top.

Next ingredient: applesauce