Honored Contributor

Food art idea edible egg pigs

i know I have been threatening Spring for two months but this time I mean it!  As it is also the month for those that plan Easter celebrations, please share your favorite Spring and/or Easter recipes with us!

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there.  Thanks to @Zhills  who gave us our next ingredient:

PICADILLO RECIPE

Cuisine: Cuban

INGREDIENTS

• 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
  • 1 ½ lbs. Ground beef (I have substituted ground turkey and it’s still awesome)
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • ½ tsp. Pepper
  • 1 envelope Sazón (Goya Brand)
  • 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • ¼ cup dry white wine (the cheaper, the better!)
  • 4 Tbsp. Pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
  • 1 small box of dark raisins (snack size)
  • ½ tsp. Cumin
  • ½ tsp. Oregano

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic until the onion is transluscent.
  2. Add the ground beef and brown over medium heat.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking until meat is tender and completely cooked through. About 25 minutes.
  4. Serve over white rice with tostones. (fried plaintain)
  5. Makes 6 servings.

Next ingredient:  Thyme

Honored Contributor

I copied this recipe back in 2015 from here I think!

I know for most of you, it is no longer SOUP season....but I have 2 inches on SNOW on the ground still from Saturday (NO APRIL FOOLS JOKE...SNOW!!)

We are still in parkas and boots, so it is still soup weather for me.

Cabbage Soup With Apples and Thyme

3 TBSP. butter

1 TBSP. olive oil

8 cups thinly sliced cored green cabbage *I just use a bag of Weg Cole Slaw Cabbage

1 large onion chopped

8 sprigs fresh thyme  (* I used Ground Thyme and Thyme leaves, didn't have sprigs)

6 cups low-salt chicken (or vegetable) broth

1-1/4 #  Golden Delicious Apples, (*I used about 4 Granny Smith)peeled, cured, cut into ½ inch cubes

Melt 1 TBSP. butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.

Add cabbage and onion; sauté until vegetables wilt and brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Add thyme and sauté 1 minute longer.

Add broth and bring to boil.

Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Melt remaining 2 TBSP. butter in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.

Add apples and sauté until brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper.

Remove thyme sprigs from soup.

Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with apples and chopped fresh thyme.

Next Ingredient:

OYSTER SAUCE OR FISH SAUCE

Honored Contributor

Sorry....no recipe from me but wondering....anyone ..Recipe with....Oyster Sauce or Fish Sauce?

Honored Contributor

cashew chicken.jpg

Cashew Chicken

Prep: 5 MinutesLevel: Easy
Cook: 10 MinutesServes: 8

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Packed Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
  • 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 6 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cut Into Small Cubes
  • Kosher Salt To Taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Ginger
  • 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1/4 cup Sherry Or Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup Drained Canned Water Chestnuts, Coarsley Chopped
  • 1 cup Unsalted Cashews (be Sure To Use Unsalted)
  • 2 whole Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
  • Cooked Rice Or Noodles, For Serving (if Desired)

Preparation

In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside. 

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the chicken in a single layer. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt, then leave it alone for at least a couple of minutes to give the chicken a chance to brown. When the chicken has turned golden, stir it around so that it can brown on all sides. Throw in the garlic and ginger and stir to combine. Stir in the bell pepper and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

While the pan is still hot, pour in the sherry. Stir it around, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the flavorful bits. Turn the heat to medium-low and pour in the sauce mixture, then mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry and pour it in. Stir the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken, then add the water chestnuts and cashews and stir to coat everything with the sauce, adding a splash of water if the sauce is too thick.

Finally, sprinkle on the green onions. Serve with cooked rice or noodles.

Next ingredient:  English muffins

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Thanks @house_cat   !!

You got me off the hook for stalling the game AND gave us a great recipe!!

I have cashews to use up too!  Thanks!

NEXT INGREDIENT:  ENGLISH MUFFINS

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Thanks @house_cat   !!

You got me off the hook for stalling the game AND gave us a great recipe!!

I have cashews to use up too!  Thanks!

@RespectLife 

I can relate. It's usually me who's a thread-killer.  My DH doesn't like nuts (probably because he is one, but that's another story, lol) so I can only make this when he's out of town.  It's good.

NEXT INGREDIENT: ENGLISH MUFFINS

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

A way to use up your leftover ham.

Breakfast Pizzas

THESE BREAKFAST PIZZAS ARE TOASTY ENGLISH MUFFINS TOPPED WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS, HAM, A LITTLE GARLIC BUTTER AND MELTED CHEESE. 

These Breakfast Pizzas can be made ahead of time and frozen until needed!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Yield 12 servings
Author Christy Denney

8 tablespoons butter , melted
1 teaspoon garlic salt
6 Thomas English muffins , split
12 eggs
2 cups diced ham
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic salt. Brush each English muffin with the garlic butter mixture.
3. Scramble eggs until soft set and then add the ham and stir in. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Scoop the scrambled eggs onto each muffin and top with cheese. If making ahead of time, wrap pizza in plastic wrap here
and freeze until needed.
 5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and muffins are toasted. If pizza is frozen, remove from freezer and
bake for 15 minutes.

Note: Cooked ground pork sausage can be substituted if desired.

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/breakfast-pizzas

Next: Capers

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Chicken Piccata

4  6 oz chicken breasts*

1/2 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth

2 tablespoons CAPERS

Place chicken between two large pieces of plastic wrap.  Flatten chicken with meat tenderizer to 1/4" thickness.

Combine flour, salt and pepper.  Melt butter in pan on medium heat.  Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess and place in pan.

Brown chicken in pan about 5 minutes on each side.  Mix wine (or broth) with lemon juice and pour over chicken. Simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is done and sauce has thickened.  Top with CAPERS and serve.

* I buy thin-sliced chicken breasts and skip the flattening step.  Easy recipe and very good with or without CAPERS.  If dinner is delayed, I put this into a covered casserole dish and keep warm (low) in oven.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... BACON 

Respected Contributor

Re: APRIL 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Caper Sauce with Housewife's Sauce as the Base

(Salsa Della Massaia con Salsa Ai Capperi)

from The Italian Cookbook by Maria Luisa Taglienti

Random House New York, 1955   Pages 50 and 51

5  1/2 Tbsp butter (divided)

1 Tbsp flour

1 Tbsp butter (I use unsalted.)

1 cup lukewarm water

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp white pepper

2 egg yolks

juice of 1 lemon

Melt 1  1/2 Tbsp butter in a small saucepan and gradually blend in flour.  Add water, salt, pepper and egg yolks.  Beat slowly with an egg beater or mix with a wooden spoon until sauce comes to a boil.  Remove from stove and add the rest of the butter.  The butter is to be added according to taste, from 4 Tbsp to 1/4 of a pound.  Add lemon juice and 2 Tbsp CAPERS just before serving.

I use this simple sauce for baked or broiled fish, such as cod fillets.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BACON

Esteemed Contributor

@vickie25  Thanks for that breakfast pizza recipe. Sounds like a fun idea for when the grandchildren visit! Love the freezing idea!