Honored Contributor

I've never made this recipe, but it has my name written all over it... figuratively speaking.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 6.44.13 PM.png

Lemon Curd Pound Cake Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup shortening

3 cups sugar

6 large eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon extract

Step 1 Preheat oven to 325°.

Beat first 2 ingredients at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy.

Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Step 2 Sift together flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with our mixture.

Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.

Stir in lemon zest and next 2 ingredients.

Step 3 Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (16-cup) tube pan.

Step 4 Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.

Step 5 Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Curd Glaze. Remove cake from pan to wire rack; gently brush warm glaze over top and sides of cake. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Garnish, if desired.

Lemon Curd Pound Cake DEBBIE LEWIS,CLINTON, MISSISSIPPI November 2011 SOUTHERN LIVING

Wait to prepare the Lemon Curd Glaze until the cake comes out of the oven so it will still be warm when you spread it on the cake.

Lemon Curd Glaze

Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small heavy saucepan; add egg, and stir until blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and begins to bubble around the edges. (Cooked mixture will have a thickness similar to heavy cream.) Use immediately.

Next ingredient:  salmon filet

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I saw her make this on The Kitchen and I always wanted to make it!

Puff Pastry-Wrapped Salmon

Total Time:   55 min   Prep:   10 min   Cook:   35 min    Yield:   8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

Salmon:
Nonstick cooking spray, for spraying the foil
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
9 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
5 ounces baby spinach leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for rolling out the pastry
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten
One 2-pound side of salmon fillet, skinless
Dill Sauce:
2/3 cup clam juice
3/4 cup Mexican crema
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Puff Pastry-Wrapped Salmon

For the salmon: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Heat the oil in a heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and wilt for 4 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Let cool.

Dust a flat working surface with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out the sheets of puff pastry into 1/4-inch thickness (each 12 by 12 inches). Put the pastry sheets side-by-side so they overlap slightly, by about 1/2 inch. Brush the overlapping strip with the beaten egg, stick both sheets together at the strip and seal with a fork. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.

Spoon the cooled mushroom-spinach mixture over one side of the puff pastry rectangle. To make an even rectangle out of the salmon fillet, you can cut the top portion off of the belly and add it to the tail part. Place the fillet over the mushroom-spinach mixture. Season the salmon heavily with salt and pepper. Fold the other side of the rectangle over the filling and seal by brushing the edge with egg wash and crimping as you would a pie crust (you can use a fork; I crimped like a pie crust with my fingers). Fold the remaining 2 open edges of pastry under the salmon fillet. Brush everything with the egg wash.

Bake until the puff pastry is crisp and golden in color, 25 minutes. Let stand for about 8 minutes before slicing.

For the dill sauce: Put the clam juice in a heavy saucepot and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and reduce to 1/2 cup. Add the Mexican crema and heavy cream and reduce to 1 cup. Add the flour and whisk while boiling until thickened. Add the dill and season with salt and pepper.

Slice the salmon into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch slices. Serve immediately with the dill sauce.

Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/puff-pastry-wrapped-salmon.html?oc=linkback

NEXT INGREDIENT:

CREME DE BANANA

(Banana Liqueur)

I bought a whole bottle for one recipe which I remember being good...now I can't find the recipe!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

That salmon recipe looks wonderful!  It's not my hubby's type of recipe, but I would love to make it when I have my girlfriends here for lunch this summer. Thank you for posting it.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

CREME DE BANANA

(Banana Liqueur)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

You are welcome!  I hope one of us makes it soon!  I have been saving it since 2016!

I just got some salmon from the Q...it is on the top of the list now.

I remember watching her and thinking that it didn't really look all that hard to do! 

Of course, it always looks easy on TV!  LOL

NEXT INGREDIENT:

CREME DE BANANA

(Banana Liqueur)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2018 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

This tried-and-true crowd-pleaser takes a tropical trip with a splash of coconut milk and crème de banana. It’s a surprising twist that will delight even the most diehard banana cream pie aficionado.

MAKES: 8 servings

Pie Crust

INGREDIENTS:

• 20 oz graham cracker crumbs
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 5 oz almonds, chopped roughly
  • 8 oz bananas, mashed
  • 4½ Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well with hands into large, soft crumbles.

Pie Filling

INGREDIENTS:

• 1¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp corn starch
  • ¼ tsp regular salt
  • 10 egg yolks
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup crème de banane
  • 1 tsp Coco Lopez® cream of coconut
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ cup butter

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Sift sugar, corn starch, and salt together in a bowl. Add egg yolks. Mix thoroughly to remove clumps. Set aside.
  2. In a saucepot, whisk heavy cream, whole milk, coconut milk, crème de banane, cream of coconut, and vanilla. Bring mix to simmer. Slowly ladle cream mixture into egg mixture to temper, whisking continuously. Once half the cream mixture has been added to egg mixture, pour entire mixture back into pot.
  3. Whisk continuously until mixture thickens. Simmer on low for 5 minutes being careful not to scorch bottom. Once thickened, remove from heat.
  4. Add butter and stir until well incorporated. Place mix in large bowl and let cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cool in refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Cover with plastic wrap to avoid skim on top.
Assembly

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Coat eight 4-in springform pans with cooking spray. Form crusts along pan bottoms, ¼ in up sides. In each mold, use 2 oz of crust as a base, and another 2 oz to create a lip to hold filling. Place a small amount of egg white in each crust and lightly spread to coat. Remove excess egg white. Bake at 375° F for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
  2. Divide pie filling evenly into molds. Spread evenly. Smooth pie tops with spatula to create even surface for finishing. Cool in refrigerator for 6 hours.

Garnish with White Chocolate Mousse Whipped Cream before serving.

WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WHIPPED CREAM

MAKES: 3 cups/180 g

INGREDIENTS:

• 2½ cups/590 ml heavy cream
  • 5 Tbsp/60 g powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp/2 ml vanilla extract
  • 1¼ Tbsp/15 g white chocolate mousse powder

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Mix heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla for 2 minutes.
  2. Add white chocolate mousse powder and continue whipping until stiff peaks are formed. Refrigerate until use.

I haven't tried this but I sure would like to!  Seems you could make it into a big pie instead of individual pies.  Filling surely does sound good!  Don't know how firm it would set up!

Next ingredient:  Evaporated milk

Honored Contributor

Repeat recipe......but, good!

Farmer's Casserole

3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (thaw)

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup diced ham

1/4 cup sliced green onions

4 eggs, beaten

1 (12 oz) can EVAPORATED MILK

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

Grease a 2 quart square baking dish.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Thaw potatoes about 30 minutes and place evenly in baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onions.

Mix the eggs, EVAPORATED MILK, pepper and salt together.  Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.

(The dish may be covered at this point and refrigerated for several hours or overnight.)

Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes til center is set (or 55-60 minutes if made ahead and chilled).  Let stand 5 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... PICKLES, Sweet or Dill

Valued Contributor

CRISP SWEET PICKLES

• 1 jar (32 ounces) whole kosher dill pickles, drained  (I use Claussen)
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed

DIRECTIONS Cut pickles into 1/2-in. slices; return to the jar. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and shake until coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 week, shaking occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 1 quart.

Found this recipe and made it at Christmas time.  I made these again for Easter.  A new addition to our family collection.

Next Ingredient:  Fresh BEETS

Honored Contributor

I do like beets and recently saw Pioneer Woman fix this salad........have not tried it yet.

Roasted BEET and Goat Cheese Salad

2 lbs. BEETS, peeled and cut into wedges

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary

salt and pepper

vegetable oil for frying

1/2 cup flour

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

3 (4 oz) Goat Cheese logs, cut into 12 slices

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

pinch sugar

12 cups mixed greens

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spread the BEETS on a baking sheet.  In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, rosemary and some salt/pepper.  Reserve 1/4 of the dressing for the salad and pour the rest over the BEETS.  Roast until the BEETS are tender, 45-50 minutes.

While the BEETS are cooking, heat 1/4" of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Put the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls.  Coat the goat cheese slices first in flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs.  Fry the slices until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.  Drain on a paper towel.

Whisk the mustard and sugar into the reserved dressing, then pour over the greens in a large bowl and toss to coat.

Divide the greens among 6 plates, add the BEETS on top and place 2 fried goat cheese slices on top.

NEXT INGREDIENT ....... WALNUTS 

Valued Contributor

@walker

That roasted beet and goat cheese salad sounds heavenly!

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Walnuts

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

Cranberry Walnut Bread (Bread Machine)

Put ingredients in bread machine in the order listed:
1/4 cup water
1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1 egg beaten
1/1/2 tablespoons of oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup ground flax
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- optional: substitute 1/2 cup buckwheat flour for 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 to 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries - roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (that's about 7 whole walnuts)

Add all ingredients up to the cranberries and walnuts to bread machine in order listed. Set machine for 1 1/2 pound mixed grain setting. Turn on machine. After 20 minutes, add the cranberries and walnuts. Store in plastic bag after cooled. Keeps up to 5 or 6 days.

Next Ingredient: Grits