1 medium zucchini 
1 medium yellow squash
3 medium roma tomatoes 
Pinch of salt and pepper 
½ tsp dried basil 
½ tsp dried oregano 
1 cup shredded mozzarella

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread ½ cup of marinara sauce over the bottom of a deep pie dish or a rectangular casserole dish. Thinly slice the onion and sprinkle the slices over the marinara.
Thinly slice the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes (about ¼ inch thick). The vegetables are easiest to layer when they are the same diameter, so if one of your vegetables is much bigger around than the others, slice the rounds in half or into quarters to make it more similar in size. Layer the vegetables in the casserole dish like dominos. Fit as many of the vegetable slices in as possible.

90E30585-0444-4370-BAEB-E15811CFBE41-729-000001EBDB66E2A4.jpeg

Season the top of the layered vegetables lightly with salt, pepper, dried basil, and oregano. Lastly, add the remaining ½ cup of marinara to the top of the vegetables (it doesn't have to be even).
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and add the shredded cheese to the top. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.

Serve with crusty bread

next ingredient:  lime juice

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

Re: APRIL 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

[ Edited ]

One Pan Mexican Quinoa

Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
Wonderfully light, healthy and nutritious. And it’s so easy to make – even the quinoa is cooked right in the pan!
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
Serve immediately.

This delicious recipe brought to you by ****** Delicious
http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

Forgot to add next ingredient!  Black beans

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

REE'S MEXICAN MACARONI SALAD WITH BLACK BEANS 

Ingredients

Salad:
1 pound elbow macaroni
Vegetable oil, for oiling grill
2 ears corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup finely chopped black olives
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, finely diced

Dressing:
1 cup jarred salsa
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
For the salad: Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
Heat an indoor grill and brush with oil. Cook the ears of corn, turning, until browned and cooked through. Cut the kernels off the cobs.
Put the corn in a big bowl with the black beans, olives, tomatoes, green onions and red onions and toss to combine.
For the dressing: In a separate bowl, whisk together the salsa, sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the salad ingredients and fold together until everything is coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Serve chilled.

From Pioneer Woman

IMG_3243.JPG

Next Ingredient: Vidalia Onion

Honored Contributor

Cheddar and Ritz Cracker Vidalia Onion Pie

1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

1/2 stick butter, melted

2 cups Vidalia onions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons butter

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

3/4 teaspoon salt

dash of pepper

1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 teaspoon smokey paprika

Mix Ritz crackers and melted butter.

Press into an 8 inch pie plate.

Saute Vidalia onions in 2 tablespoons butter until clear, but not brown.

Spoon into pie crust.

Beat eggs with milk, salt, and pepper, pour over onions.

Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.

Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until firm in the center.

Next ingredient:  tube of biscuits

Esteemed Contributor

Baked Donuts

1 can biscuits (I use the jumbo flaky biscuits)

1/2 stick butter or 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup, melted

1/2 to 1 cup white granulated sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, more or less

Divide the biscuits and flatten out on counter top.  Make a hole in the center of each one either with the tip of a knife or a hole cutter.  Dip the donuts and the holes in melted butter and then in the sugar and cinnamon combined.  Place on sprayed baking sheet or on parchment paper and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 donuts and 8 to 10 holes depending on how many are in your can.  Enjoy

Fried Donuts

Heat cooking oil in skillet, cut hole in biscuits, drop biscuits and holes in hot oil.  Cook until brown on one side, turn and finish cooking.  This only takes a few seconds.  Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.  Sprinkle on or dip in powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar combination.  Can melt chocolate chips and spread on donuts.  Use your imagination and add sprinkles. Makes the same amount as above.  Enjoy!

I made a hole with my thumb and fingers. 

Next ingredient:  Romaine lettuce

Honored Contributor

Grilled Romaine with Bleu Cheese and Bacon

Fresh heads of romaine lettuce are split down the middle, grilled until charred and smoky, and then topped with blue cheese and bacon for this satisfying salad. Featured in: California Eternal

SERVES 4-6

Ingredients

6 strips bacon
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
5 heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, rinsed and dried
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled

Instructions

Heat bacon in a 12" skillet over medium heat, and cook, turning once, until crisp and fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate, reserving 2 tbsp. drippings, and let cool; crumble and set aside. Transfer reserved drippings to a bowl, and add oil, vinegar, and Worcestershire; whisk until smooth, and set dressing aside.

Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Working in batches, if necessary, place romaine halves cut-side down on grill, and cook, turning once, until charred and slightly wilted, about 4 minutes.

Transfer lettuce cut-side up to a serving platter, and season with salt and pepper; drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with reserved bacon and blue cheese.

IMG_3244.JPG

NEXT INGREDIENT: marjoram

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has been my favorite Caesar Salad recipe for over 30 years. It has has a perfect blend of flavors.  The anchovies disappear in the dressing and departs a wonderful salty taste (my husband uses the rest of the anchovies to decorate his plate Smiley Happy

The egg becomes "coddled" and the whites will cook.  I use my whisk to break them up in the dressing

This makes a meal for my husband and me or 4 servings as side salads. 

Caesar Salad

5  slices ( about three-quarter inch thick)  French or Italian bread 

6 tablespoons olive oil 

One large head Romaine lettuce

3 anchovy fillets, rinsed, dried, minced

1 clove garlic, minced 

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice 

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard 

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 

1 large egg cold 

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Asiago for a shaper cheese taste)

1.Heat oven to 400° 

2. Place bread slices on baking sheet and brush with about 1 tablespoon of the oil. Toast until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.  Turn, brush second side with another tablespoon oil, and toast until brown 10 to 12 minutes. Cut into three-quarter inch cubes. 

3.  Meanwhile, rinse lettuce, then tear into 2 inch pieces. Wrap and paper towels and refrigerate. 

4.  Whisk, remaining 4 tablespoons oil,  the anchovies, garlic, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and pepper to blend.

5.  10 minutes before serving, gently drop egg into lightly boiling water and boil egg three minutes. Cool under running water, scoop slightly cooked egg into dressing, and blend well.

6.   Toss lettuce with dressing croutons and cheese. Serve at once. 6 tablespoon olive oil  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

Oh Smiley Happy Two good romaine recipes!  I love grilled romaineSmiley Happy

next ingredient:  marjoram 

Respected Contributor

@rrpell, I LOVE homemade Caesar dressing, and enjoy trying different recipes. Thanks so much for yours! Smiley Happy

At a hotel I worked for years ago, they used pasteurized eggs-in-the-shell. It was a revelation when I found that I could buy them at a nearby 'Sprouts' market. They come in handy! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Ooops!

next ingredient:  marjoram 

Muddling through...