Honored Contributor

Gosh this looks good!  I think this may also work for Christmas morning with the younger grandsons!

@Housecat, I know you love to cook.  You may like this one.

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2017/04/18/best-bites-egg-bake-breakfast/22044589/

Spinach Breakfast Bake Ingredients

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lb lb sausage, diced
  • 3 croissants, cubed
  • 1 large leek, diced
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  1. In a bowl, rip croissants into cubes.
  2. Heat olive oil in pan.
  3. Brown sausage.
  4. Add to croissant bowl.
  5. In pan, add leek and spinach.
  6. Mix, mix, mix!
  7. Add to croissant bowl with cheeses.
  8. Mix, mix, mix!
  9. Spoon into 8x8 baking pan.
  10. In a separate bowl, add eggs, mustard and garlic.
  11. Add paprika, cream and milk.
  12. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
  13. Whisk, whisk, whisk!
  14. Pour egg mixture over baking pan.
  15. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  16. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
  17. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Re: AOL: Spinach Breakfast Bake

It sounds good but not for breakfast.  I don't think of spinach as being a breakfast treat.  I'd have it for lunch or dinner. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ECBG

Thank You!  This does look good. I will try this as soon as we get everything up and running here.

Our house here was struck by lightning on July 23rd. I was up at the mountain house having some work done there. When I was trying to leave to come home to help my husband the alternator in my SUV died. It was bad luck and terrible timing. I am happy to have the phones and internet back. We still have some areas without electricity. What a mess.Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

I've made something similar but they were called Spinach Egg Fritatas and were done in muffin tins.  I made them up and then froze them.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624, the next time you want to get adventurous, try a spinach omelette! Cook some bacon or ham, throw in spinach and add beaten eggs. Cheese is not a bad addition either! Use a little feta, and you have a Greek omelette.  I love it with a few slices of vine ripened tomato on the side.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Joe’s Special LA Times

INGREDIENTS

1 Tablespoon olive oil & butter

1/2 small onion

1/2 pound freshly ground chuck

1 10oz pkg  frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano + 1/8 teaspoon dried basil

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

3 eggs

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring from time to time, until it just starts to brown. Add the meat and saute, stirring, until it just loses its pink color.

Add the spinach to the pan and stir it in. Add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork to blend. Add to the center of the skillet and scramble with the beef mixture.

Serve topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan or your favorite shredded cheese.

Serves 2

I have made this for breakfast many times.  I like to use sausage in it.  You could pour over bread cubes and bake. 

I'd say this recipe would be marvelous!  I was shocked at how delicious eggs and spinach together could be.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a change, I've decided to eat an early morning meal-- Joe's Special! Too anxious for it so I will use fresh spinach instead of prepping a box of frozen spinach. And, like you, I will sub sausage for the ground chuck-- I think Italan sausage will really complement the recipe.

I also love the recipe the OP shared. I look forward to making her dish when cooler weather arrives as I am not using my oven as long as there's hot weather.

Thanks to both of you for posting these goodies!

Esteemed Contributor

I can imagine using Italian Sausage in this.  Would make a great meal for anytime.  Finish it off with fresh tomatoes and cornbread muffins!  Heaven!

Respected Contributor

OMG! I went to the link where they prepped it and showed the finish product. Scrumptious! I would add mushrooms because I love them, but that is all. The croissants sound so much richer than using bread, and I bet it is! I may also add some garlic to the saute of the spinach and mushrooms. You could also do it with a spicy or Italian sausage for a twist or chirizo.....Oh the possibilities!
I might also play with the cheeses and do pepper jack or extra sharp Vermont white cheddar. I don't think I can wait until Christmas to try this. I may also do it in muffin cups to make it a grab and go breakfast that I could heat up in the microwave and take on the run.
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  Sounds delish! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment