Honored Contributor

ANYONE TRY A NEW RECIPE TODAY?

I know a lot of people go with the "tried and true" favorites on holidays, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried a new recipe ... today, December 25th?  Woman Surprised

I am trying Roasted Brussel Sprouts for the first time today.   I like this vegetable and will cook it different ways, but chef Ina Garten convinced me to cook them roasted.

She was interviewed the other day on NPR, and was asked about brussels sprouts.   She said they were "elevated" in peoples' minds when everyone started trying roasting vegetables ... and they have such a nice taste!

Well, that did it for me.  Everything else I'm cooking today is tried and true.  The BS go into the oven in a couple hours, so I don't have a report yet.

So ..........  did you try anything NEW this year for your holiday meals?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANYONE TRY A NEW RECIPE TODAY?

I tried Ruth's Chris sweet potato casserole. Came out just like the restaurant. Unfortunately not low calorie but very yummy. 

Honored Contributor

Not me; I stick with tried and true for our Christmas meal.  I cook all of the food we decide on, on the 24th and we reheat whatever we want from those selections on Christmas Day.  

Trying something new would make me feel I'd need to have a backup plan, and I make things as easy as possible for our Christmas meals.  

Respected Contributor

i tried/ate a no bake fruitcake that was very good and different.. everyone was raving about it. 

don't have the receipe but i will get it. 

It was candied fruit, nuts, crushed graham crackers and melted marshmellows.  no alcohol, so doesn't have that bitter after note.  DH even brought home a slice.  That alone speaks volumes. 

Frequent Contributor

I had picked up a 4.53 lb prime rib that was a perfect size for the three of us (DH his Mom and me)  First time I have cooked a prime rib and it came out to perfection and could not have been easier.  I used the 500 degree oven 5 minutes per pound; leave in oven for 2 hours without opening oven door method. 

How were your Brussel sprouts?  I am sure they were yummy.  I make roasted veggies for the holidays almost all the time. I actually cook them the day before and then reheat in the microwave to make life and clean up easier.  We had them today along with the prime rib, rice pilaf and warm scali bread. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried Paula Dean's, "Not yo Mamma's Banana Pudding". I don't  usually make banana pudding on Christmas but my 7 year old granddaughter heard us talking about it and requested it. It was a big thumbs down 👎🏽for us! It's the "quick" way I made banana pudding when I wasn't in the mood to do all the work that the original took to make and before I discovered Magnolia Bakeries version.  Since then I always make this one(the only one my granddaughters had ever had) It's waaaaay better than Paula's! Try it. It really is delicious!!!🍌🍌🍌

Magnolia Bakeries Famous Banana Pudding 

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/magnolia-bakerys-famous-banana-pudding/

*NOTE* If you do decide to try it, Read through the entire recipe first. Part of it needs to be done overnight.*

Magnolia Bakery's Famous Banana Pudding 

INGREDIENTS

• 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 ½ cups ice cold water
  • 1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 4 cups sliced barely ripe bananas (see note)
  • 1 (12 oz.) box Nilla Wafers

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a large bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined - about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well - about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set. It will be watery if you don't let it set up long enough.
  2. In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture until no streaks of pudding remain.
  3. Dessert can either be made in individual portions or in a large glass bowl with 4-5 quart capacity (a 9x13 baking dish also works).
  4. To assemble dessert, arrange 1/3 of the Nilla wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary. Next, layer 1/3 of the bananas, and 1/3 of the pudding mixture. Repeat twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer. Cover tightly and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours - or up to 8 hours, no longer (because bananas will start to brown - see Notes for tips on preventing browning).
"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

That's great you're trying something new. We roast most of our vegetables, Brussels sprouts bacon & onion our favorite. Parsnips are great sliced in french fry like sticks and so are radishes if you can believe that. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 , we are doing our own turkey dinner today after being guests yesterday.  I usually use tried and true too although since it is just DH and I so I could experiment.

Does anyone have a great recipe for roasted veggies they could share?  Maybe onions, peppers, etc?  My sides will be French cut beans and Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon and onion in a balsamic glaze.

Frequent Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Here is my original recipe for Roasted Vegetables:

3 large red onions, each cut into 12 wedges, leave root end attached

2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2" by 1" pieces

2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2" by 1" pieces

2 medium red, yellow or green peppers cut into 1 1/2"pieces 

1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  In large bowl or sturdy plastic bag, toss vegetables with oil, salt, and pepper until evenly coated. Divide between two large 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 jelly-roll pans. I line mine with heavy duty foil for easy clean up. Place pans on 2 racks in oven and roast for 45 minutes until tender and golden,  rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through cooking time and tossing vegetables once.

My modifications:   I don't care for turnips so I don't use those but I bet Brussels sprouts would be good. I always have white or yellow onions in the house so I use those instead of the red onions.   In my oven I bake at 425 degrees for 30 -35 minutes.  This recipe can easily be cut in half.  They reheat well in the microwave, too.

Valued Contributor

Christmas Re: ANYONE TRY A NEW RECIPE TODAY?

We had a small Christmas dinner with my son and his GF. I made a vegetarian Wellington with puff pastry and it was beautiful and delicious.  Bonus you can make the stuffing a day before. All of the prep work can be done with a food processor.  Will definitely make again!