Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE A GOOD RECIPE FOR CABBAGE SOUP?

I remember there was one years ago that was called "diet soup" where you could eat as much as you wanted.  I remember it was quite good.  I don't care about the diet part per se.  I would also like it if it could be made in a CrockPot.

Any ideas?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE A GOOD RECIPE FOR CABBAGE SOUP?

Google Crock Pot Amish Cabbage Patch Soup.  Delicious!  

Honored Contributor

Type in peel a pound soup and you will find the once popular recipe for loosing weight.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a pot of soup every week.

Last week was 

Pound of burger cooked and drained.

Added carrots,parsnip,turnip,onion,celery chopped head of cabbage. Pour beef broth and 2 cans of Spicy V-8,salt,pepper and Sazon

Seasoning. Simmer till veggies are tender. 

Honored Contributor

I make one tha has kielbasa, red spuds, cabbage and onions in it for the pressure cooker. From one of Bob Wardens p/c books--is fabulous!!

Respected Contributor

Very good soup from Southern Soul email:

Amazing Roasted Cabbage Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 small head of cabbage cut into 1" rounds
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 carrots - diced
  • 1 small onion - diced
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 8 oz can small diced or crushed tomatoes - drained
  • 4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 415 degrees.
  2. Place cabbage rounds on a 9 X 11 inch sheet pan lined with parchment.
  3. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a small dish. Using a grater or micro plane, grate 1 clove of garlic into olive oil. Brush or spoon garlic oil on each of cabbage rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes. When outside of rounds are dark brown and crisp, flip, spread with remaining olive oil. Return to oven and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
  4. Remove from oven to cool.
  5. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot on medium low heat. Add carrots and onions. Saute until onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook with onions and carrots for one minute. Add stock to pot. Stir to incorporate vegetables and herbs. Add tomatoes and stir.
  6. Cut cabbage rounds into large chunks (discard very dark edges) and add to stock pot. Drizzle in red wine vinegar. Bring soup up to a boil then reduce to a simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until slightly reduced.
  7. Serve soup with a dash of hot sauce or chopped chives.
  8. Can be frozen in ziptop bags.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Couple weeks ago, I made a cabbage soup.  I went by Alberti's recipe - on blog or just search cabbage soup on view all forum topics.  It's got some really good veggies for our furbabies! 

I omitted the garlic/onion so I could share it with Eddy and added kielbasa.  It was simple and delicious - at least me and Eddy enjoyed it!  You can use a crockpot, especially one that sautes (I like to blacken up the kielbasa first before chopping it up to add a nice flavor). Also instead of just adding regular stock, I added a cup of Better Than Boullion.

If it can turn out yummy for me, you're a shoe-in!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to mention, re diet soup a friend just posted it on facebook yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post it here, but, pull up Nana's Kitchen and search diet cabbage soup.  

The video looked simple and it has to be yummy when I guy will post it!  In fact, I'm gonna try it 'cause Eddy LOVES cabbage and I NEED to lose a few!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

A friend sent me this recipe last year.  Haven't tried making it in a slow-cooker yet, but it only took around 1/2 hour on the stovetop:

8 slices bacon cut into 1" pieces

1 1/2 lbs russet or Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1/2" pieces (skins-on)

1 1/4 lb head green cabbage cored and cut into 2" pieces

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

4 cups chicken broth

2 bay leaves

Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crispy.  Drain bacon on paper towel.  Leave grease in pot.

Cook potatoes, cabbage, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and pepper flakes in fat over medium-high heat until cabbage wilts, stirring occasionally.  Stir in broth and bay leaves and bring to boil.  Cook covered over medium heat until potatoes are tender.

Remove from heat and mash a few potatoes until slightly thickened.  Remove bay leaves and stir in bacon.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I guess I better head out to the store and stock up...........soup tomorrow for dinner!  Ever since I bought my CrockPot, I have made a batch of soup every week.  Between the two of us, we clean it up before it is time to make another pot.  We are getting  more vegetables into our diet, too.

TA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!