Occasional Contributor

A bit of sunshine on a rainy day... lemon supreme pie

I found this online somewhere when I was hunting for a recipe for a good lemon pie that I could convert to low sugar and relatively low fat. We love it!

Ingredients:

1 9" prebaked pie shell

Cream Cheese Layer:

2 packages (one 8-ounces and one 3-ounces) cream cheese, softened (low-fat or neuftachel works here)
3/4 cup powdered sugar (can use 2/3 C splenda instead)
1 1/2 cups non-dairy whipped topping (can use lite topping here)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Lemon Top Layer:

1 1/2 cups sugar (splenda works just fine here)
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter (no margarine. use the real deal)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Start with making the lemon top layer: In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cool and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. Gently stir in lemon juice, careful not to over mix. cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. While this is cooling, work on the cream cheese bottom layer:

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. fold in whipped topping an lemon juice. Refrigerate 1/2 cup for garnish.

Put it all together: Spread remaining cream cheese mixture into baked pie shell; top with lemon filling. Chill overnight. Place reserved cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe stars onto pie. Store in refrigerator.