Honored Contributor

Re: A POUND OF GROUND BEEF - AND NO TIME

I just realized I never mentioned what I prepared ....  didn't want to add bread crumbs because then I would have had to add an egg and wasn't going for a meatloafy dish.

So ... I just sprinkled some pink salt over the meat and then mixed in about 4 generous tablespoons of hickory barbecue sauce, mixed well and made burgers.  They were flavorful and juicy, but just had to ask what others here would do.

Thanks everyone!  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Meat loaf using StoveTop. 

Mix the StoveTop, add 1 lb ground beef, 1/4 cup water and an egg put in a meat loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  So good!

I also sometimes add frozen green pepper and mushrooms - they're already all chopped - just mix it in.  Serve with instant mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I just realized I never mentioned what I prepared ....  didn't want to add bread crumbs because then I would have had to add an egg and wasn't going for a meatloafy dish.

So ... I just sprinkled some pink salt over the meat and then mixed in about 4 generous tablespoons of hickory barbecue sauce, mixed well and made burgers.  They were flavorful and juicy, but just had to ask what others here would do.

@Tinkrbl44 In this house, you can not beat a good burger.

We buy several pounds of ground beef, put it in a big skillet with taco seasoning and tomato sauce, juice, v-8 or whatever and make taco meat.  We then shrink wrap it for tacos or taco salad and freeze it!  

Meatloaf?  Ground beef and chunky salsa mixed well.  Nothing else!

I don't believe I have bought a single pound of ground beef in 35 years.  Not when I could afford it.  I will pay for really good lean ground beef too.  It is a staple around here.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 In this house, you can not beat a good burger.

We buy several pounds of ground beef, put it in a big skillet with taco seasoning and tomato sauce, juice, v-8 or whatever and make taco meat.  We then shrink wrap it for tacos or taco salad and freeze it!  

Meatloaf?  Ground beef and chunky salsa mixed well.  Nothing else!

I don't believe I have bought a single pound of ground beef in 35 years.  Not when I could afford it.  I will pay for really good lean ground beef too.  It is a staple around here.  

@Sooner 

If you want really lean ground meat, try the Jenny-O ground turkey for a change.

When their ground turkey first came out, the meat to fat ratio was 93/7.   Very lean, but could be a little dry with the wrong recipe.

I recently noticed that Jenny-O came out with a different ratio ... 85/15, which I find better for burgers; it's more juicy.    

Just wanted to add this in case some here also like to use ground turkey.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Great minds!  LOL!!! I use the leaner white meat ground turkey in chili! I put beef broth in it and lots of spices and it is really good!!!  

I actually keep packages of it in the freezer.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Great minds!  LOL!!! I use the leaner white meat ground turkey in chili! I put beef broth in it and lots of spices and it is really good!!!  

I actually keep packages of it in the freezer.  

@Sooner 

LOL ..... 

Another thing came to mind .... they also have ground turkey with Taco and Italian seasoning options.    The Italian version was not good .... much much too salty. 

I actually returned it to the store.  I thought it must have been a mistake at the plant.  The Meat Dept Mgr said he didn't think so, and I wasn't the first to complain it was too salty!  Go figure.