Contributor

A Gentle Reminder to check your spices

Before you start your seasonal cooking and baking, check the expiration dates on all your spices. I wasn't happy with the way my dishes tasted, so I thought maybe they were too old and lost their oomph. Sure enough I had many which were very old..like 10 years. I threw out the old and long expired ones, and started a brand new collection. WHAT a difference! Things taste much better now.
Honored Contributor

Re: A Gentle Reminder to check your spices

@AnyaK,

A good reminder! I bet a lot of us rarely think of looking at those. I used to think spices lasted for years.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

I went through my spices yesterday and threw out a lot of them. I'm finding that replacing them is very expensive! 

Honored Contributor

I use my mom's original glass McCormick spice jars. I keep refilling them.

@AnyaK - You gave me a good reminder to keep track of my refills . I will write down the dates now. I just refilled my Cayenne jar last night (I wash the jars in between refills and make sure they're completely dry.) Thank you!   Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree and check mine regularly. Fresh spices make all the difference along with the brand you buy. You get what you pay for.

Respected Contributor

@AnyaK  Thanks! A timely reminder to check BEFORE we all start baking.  I check the baking powder and baking soda too.  HAPPY BAKING!

Valued Contributor

I mentioned this once before on a previous thread but will share again. I really hate to throw away old spices. But, of course, it's best not to use old ones in baking or cooking. But I have a way to use up the old ones and not waste them.

During the holidays I like to keep one of those aromatic simmering pots (like below) on the stovetop to scent my kitchen/home. Along with the fresh items I use in the pot like oranges or lemons, I just put some of the old spices in there, too. They work pretty well and I don't end up totally wasting them. They might give the mixture a bit of a muddy look but I don't care. I've used ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, whole cloves, and old cinnamon sticks too....whatever I have that I think might smell good in the simmering pot. This way I don't feel so bad about letting my spices get too old for use in baking. I keep all my too old spices in a big Ziplock bag labeled for use in my simmer pot.

an orange simmer pot on the stove

Esteemed Contributor

It is a good reminder but I do this routinely.   As a matter of fact I line mine up by expiration date, this way it's much easier to keep track.   You have to be careful with dried spices as some develop parasites after expiring.  It's disgusting!

Esteemed Contributor

Other than the date on the bottle or container how can you tell if they are contaminated.  I have spices... lots of them.  Some really never used or opened. 

Super Contributor

Appreciate the reminders & good info @AnyaK  & everybody! Smiley Happy