Honored Contributor

7 layer bars - can i freeze them?  I am worried the graham cracker crust will get soggy...thanks.

Honored Contributor

I've never frozen them (there's usually none left to freeze), but I think it could be done.  I would cut them into bars and seal them as air-tightly as possible in Ziploc bags.

Esteemed Contributor

I have put these in the freezer and did not get a soggy crust when they were defrosted. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've never frozen them (there's usually none left to freeze), but I think it could be done.  I would cut them into bars and seal them as air-tightly as possible in Ziploc bags.

I need to make ahead and freeze

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

I have put these in the freezer and did not get a soggy crust when they were defrosted. 

...thanks.  

I want to make them this week for Christmas...I just cannot wait until the week of to do all I need to get done..

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    There are all kinds of products with frozen graham cracker crusts that don't get soggy when thawed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

...thanks.  

I want to make them this week for Christmas...I just cannot wait until the week of to do all I need to get done..

@Mom2Dogs 

I hear ya. I freeze many baked good items and frozen dough (bread, biscuit and cookies) and it's worked out just fine. I thaw out in fridge overnight to have ready the day of eating or finishing off.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    It occurred to me that a BAKED crumb crust would be sturdier than one which is just pressed into place, then covered with other ingredients.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs    It occurred to me that a BAKED crumb crust would be sturdier than one which is just pressed into place, then covered with other ingredients.

I don't think the recipe calls for it, but I parbake my graham cracker crust for magic cookie bars for about 5 to 8 minutes before I assemble.  It makes them sturdier to put on a cookie tray.  Taking the extra step if you're going to freeze them would prevent the crust from getting soggy.

Honored Contributor

I make this recipe in a graham cracker pie crust, and we cut and eat it like pie.